Thread: Tinnitus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Had it for years it seems. Too many guns shot while no ear protection when young, too much working around equipment that has a consistent loud sounds and loud 80’s music when I was a teenager. I’m like others I get use to the constant “cicadas singing” in my ears. I try to keep something going like a fan, TV or radio. As long as I have something in the background I don’t notice it but if it’s quiet it is aggravating to say the least. Some medicine makes it worse like ibuprofen will with me. Mowing grass will really make them ring awhile louder than normal for awhile after.

About 12 years for me, courtesy of an idiot in the duck blind. Left ear mostly. Haven’t found anything that helps. As noted above, any background noise makes conversation almost impossible. Sleep with a box fan or noise generator. Went into an anechoic chamber a few years back and that was horrible. If I had one moment of my life to live over, that duck blind moment would be at the top of the list.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

53 years for me. Had good results with a hearing test at the induction center, a year later I was profiled out of combat as an 11B. Hearing test at VA after discharge just confirmed the loss. Right ear only heard sounds below 1500 hertz, left OK at that time but now just as bad as the right. Hearing aides with blue tooth for TV allows me to hear without blasting my wife out of the room.

Another vet friend and a buddy of his were watching a shoot em up on tv, both hearing impaired, had the volume so loud the neighbors called the cops for gunfire in the neighborhood. He got VA hearing aides after that.
    Veteran, NRA Patron Life Member

4. Member
    I sometimes play this to mess with people.......I do not hear it ........ this is the noise I have in both ears 24/7 (started well over 25 years ago) and goes from loud to way louder:

Too many years working on and around loud planes (even with ear protection) and shooting with no ear protection (back in the mid 1960s) when I was a kid. Have tried the hearing aids with the tinnitus "relief" feature, does nothing for me

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've had tinnitus all my life. I have always had a constant ringing in my ears. I don't know of anything can can stop it, although I've never tried. For me, its just normal. It doesn't bother me.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avmech View Post
    I sometimes play this to mess with people.......I do not hear it ........ this is the noise I have in both ears 24/7 (started well over 25 years ago) and goes from loud to way louder:

Too many years working on and around loud planes (even with ear protection) and shooting with no ear protection (back in the mid 1960s) when I was a kid. Have tried the hearing aids with the tinnitus "relief" feature, does nothing for me
    I played that at full volume and couldn't hear anything. Gonna play it for the wife lol.

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

Thats so strange. I had to turn the volume way up to hear it.
    Thanos was the hero

mine seems to be related to my digestion. if i eat a no carb diet mine will go away. but heck that is no fun.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

it came it went then it came back to stay, 2 fans to sleep at night otherwise just deal. most times it does not bother me

I couldn’t hear it without holding my iPad right up to my good ear but it brought my Boxer up out of a deep sleep and running across the room to see what was happening.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    Wow

That is perfect.

Perfect match as when I played the vid, I could not hear my ears ringing at all.

I am just going to play that all the time now.

Think I will play it until the wife asks WTH is that sound?

Now she may be able to understand the annoyance.

Thanks

12. Member
    Have had it for many years. I think one just gets used to it. Pretty sure there is no magic cure for it. Sorry for the bad news. I have tried a few things but nothing works for me.

13. Member
    Spent 36 years around the APUs on CH47s, I have a ringing that won't go away. some people have voices that I just can not hear.

14. Member
    Hearing Aids from VA stops mine when I wear them except to bed at night when I take them off to sleep.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    I played that at full volume and couldn't hear anything. Gonna play it for the wife lol.
    I'd never even wondered about the frequency in my ears. I searched them on youtube after trying this one and the ringing I have is 2500 HZ. I left it playing on my computer at the sound level that's in my head and wife hollered from the other side of the house to turn off whatever I was listening too. Told her welcome to my world, I hear it 24/7

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    About 12 years for me, courtesy of an idiot in the duck blind. Left ear mostly. Haven’t found anything that helps. As noted above, any background noise makes conversation almost impossible. Sleep with a box fan or noise generator. Went into an anechoic chamber a few years back and that was horrible. If I had one moment of my life to live over, that duck blind moment would be at the top of the list.
    This is exactly what happened to me, except replace duck blind with pickup truck. Having the TV on at night seems to help me most. The strangest thing about it is, the louder the noise / conversation in a room, the harder it is for me to carry on a conversation with someone. I have been told its just something I have to live with, and that there is no cure / remedy. I'm only 36, and I've been dealing with it for 6 or 7 years now I guess. It sucks not being able to enjoy silence like I used to, but, life goes on. It could certainly be worse, and I could have completely lost my hearing.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

Interesting. I went and poked around on that YouTube channel and discovered I am @ 7600 hz.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

18. Member

I think I about crapped my pants. I was expecting to not be able to hear something or it be really silent lol..

19. Member

Same here,silence in my book.Persons with higher-toned soft voices don't exist in my world,it's those damned constant cicadas and some occasional clicking noises.

One of the reasons I did not like the MotorGuide Xi5,all commands were beep/tone ones.Left the foot pedal on too many times,did not hear the 2 beeps that are supposed to be heard when turning it off.They should have put an indicator light on it.

20. Member
    Although I have severe hearing loss and tinnitus in the same ear, my hearing aids are programmed to improve my ability to hear human voice frequencies; they don't emit a white noise to combat the tinnitus. For me, a side benefit of actually hearing speech, music, et cetera is a reduction in the 'cicada' type ringing; sometimes it flares up and is noticeable, but it no longer drives me nuts. I enjoy peace and quiet once again and sleeping is much better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast