Lake Cumberland Drawdown

Has it begun? They are generating from 8 am through 1 am.

2. Member
    Yes. Down to 716.80 today

3. Member
    Given a normal amount of rain, will this release schedule continue, or does it slow as the water level falls?
    https://www.lrn-wc.usace.army.mil/preschedule.shtml

4. Member
    Yep they’re pulling the crap out of it. It sucks being dropped this much this early in the year too because a lot of the good stuff is high & dry.

5. Member
    I was down last weekend and cried when I seen they dropped it that much from July 4th weekend.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    I was down last weekend and cried when I seen they dropped it that much from July 4th weekend.
    I’m not hardly that bad. Don’t get me wrong fish are being caught pretty good, but it sucks this early in the year because I know what it’s fixing to be like.

7. Member
    I wish it would never get over 700 again myself.

8. Member
    I wish it would get to 723 & stay there for eternity as long as there wasn’t any trash on it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I wish it would get to 723 & stay there for eternity as long as there wasn’t any trash on it.
    Yeah that"s not going to happen. 700 and below means less trash and less places for them to hide.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The Cumberland draw down is a long and slow process that pulls several feet of water over the period of July to November. In the link I provided the default is three years but you can look back as far as six years. It shows the lake "typically" falling July through November.

http://cumberland.uslakes.info/level.asp

Activate the chart to show a six year history and for the date of 7/22 the lake is around the exact same level for the last six years, which is roughly 716. It's not being pulled early per past history and its actually on target.
    Last edited by JR19; 07-23-2021 at 02:38 PM.

11. Member
    Why do they do that so early, on all the lakes around here winter drawdown doesn't start until late fall.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Old Hickory, Piercy Priest and Lake Barkley make up the Cumberland watershed. All of those impoundments are fighting for space on the Ohio and Mississippi so they can dump into the Gulf of Mexico. The Ohio and Mississippi are massive water systems that get water from a vast area in central, north and north central United States.

When you say all the lakes around here start late fall I would bet they are smaller systems than the Cumberland river watershed. Example in my area we have the Green River watershed which consist of Green, Barren, Rough and Nolin, which all have a fall drawdown. Their discharged water travels to the Ohio and into the Mississippi and competes for space just like all the other watershed and natural runoffs in the central, north and north central United States but the amount of water they move is only a drop in the bucket compared to the Cumberland river watershed so they can wait longer to start pulling water.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Old Hickory, Piercy Priest and Lake Barkley make up the Cumberland watershed. All of those impoundments are fighting for space on the Ohio and Mississippi so they can dump into the Gulf of Mexico. The Ohio and Mississippi are massive water systems that get water from a vast area in central, north and north central United States.

When you say all the lakes around here start late fall I would bet they are smaller systems than the Cumberland river watershed. Example in my area we have the Green River watershed which consist of Green, Barren, Rough and Nolin, which all have a fall drawdown. Their discharged water travels to the Ohio and into the Mississippi and competes for space just like all the other watershed and natural runoffs in the central, north and north central United States but the amount of water they move is only a drop in the bucket compared to the Cumberland river watershed so they can wait longer to start pulling water.
    They are in the Ohio River watershed.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    If they don't move a massive amount of water in the Ohio River like Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Old Hickory, Piercy Priest and Lake Barkley then that explains why they start their draw down in the fall instead of July.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger55 View Post
    Yeah that"s not going to happen. 700 and below means less trash and less places for them to hide.
    Oh yeah i know, but i sure wish it happened like that.

16. Member
    I like the 723 myself. But like it at winter pool too.