2021 Kistler Z BONE ??

Has anyone had experience with the 2021 Kistler Z BONE casting rods? Are they as good or better then the x ray blanks they were using previously?? Just ordered one on sale but I’m finding little real world experience online.

2. Member
    For the price when they are on sale the rod is worth it. I don’t have any experience with the new rods but I don’t think they can get any more sensitive than the NFC X-Ray blanks. I literally just built a NFC XRay SJ736, Fuji ECS reel seat, and Fuji SiC guides for roughly $180. That build would be almost identical to the 7’3” MH Fast ZBone with the same components but different reel seat and cork. I personally think Kistler is overpriced at regular retail but this Christmas in July sale is a good deal.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Agreed, retail they have become overpriced. I have two helium 3 rods and use them often, I’m happy with them but have wanted a zbone, seen a post a few down from this about the sale and found only a couple zbones left in stock. I then noticed they are not using the nfc x ray blanks. Hoping these are as good or better.

The NFC blanks were fantastic , sucks they went away

5. Member
    It does suck. I thought I was ordering one with the x ray blank untill I read the description, And I haven’t found much online about this “model” of the rod. It shipped this morning so I’ll know soon how it is.

6. Member
    Successful companies sell products that are a known commodity, they have a brand. After some struggles, Kistler was building a brand and image - American made NFC blank rods for a decent price. Then they had a big price jump, then they change the standard rod lengths, then they change the guides, and now they change the blank. This company has no direction, you could say flakey, they change the formula every couple years. When you find a Kistler rod you like that you want to buy more of or recommend to others, they quit building it. My gosh, come out with a line of rods you believe in and stick with it. At this point, I have no idea what Kistler rods are, and how many years have they been in business? Sad. Love my old Helium 3 rods from a few years ago when they had a good thing going, the 7’3” Heavy, the 7’1” MH, the 7’4” MH, those were all legendary Helium 3 rods, that was the line they should have stuck with, wish I could buy some of those rods now.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 07-22-2021 at 09:39 PM.

7. Member
    Exactly. I have a helium3 7’1”mh and 7’3” H from a few years ago I’m still using. I wish I would have got the nfc x ray zbone but….we will see what’s what this weekend.