Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    We are in an "era" of baseball right now with the shift, launch angles, high strike outs etc. When a team figures out a new way to overcome some of this stuff then a new "era" will start. Tweaking the rules will continue and so will baseball debates. I see it as part of the enjoyment.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Thanks for the tip, surprised I didn't figure that out in 16 years.
    10,495 posts in and somebody finally pointed that out.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

3. Member
    So I watched three batters get hit by pitch in one inning yesterday. And since the all star break (according to SC and highlights) the long ball is dominating. There were like 37 HRs across the league the other night.
    Is this a product of mlb cracking down on the sticky stuff? Pitchers have lost an advantage?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    So I watched three batters get hit by pitch in one inning yesterday. And since the all star break (according to SC and highlights) the long ball is dominating. There were like 37 HRs across the league the other night.
    Is this a product of mlb cracking down on the sticky stuff? Pitchers have lost an advantage?
    Funny what can happen when cheating is stopped. The pitchers are probably going through an adjustment period. The pitchers main complaint about getting rid of the sticky was that the decision was made after the season was in full stride. They would have liked to show up to spring training knowing they can't use it and work on it then instead of on the mound during the game.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    Funny what can happen when cheating is stopped. The pitchers are probably going through an adjustment period. The pitchers main complaint about getting rid of the sticky was that the decision was made after the season was in full stride. They would have liked to show up to spring training knowing they can't use it and work on it then instead of on the mound during the game.
    I've been thinking a lot about the "sticky stuff" part of the equation and I believe I have a solution. I agree that grip enhancing substances should never be allowed, and I agree that doing it is in fact, cheating. That said, I also believe that a MLB ball is FAR too slick. The seams are so low it's almost impossible to get a decent grip, and thus, spin rate, on the ball. I'm not suggesting that MLB seams should be like a NHSO ball where the younger boys can REALLY get a grip on it and spin the hell out of it, but the seams should be somewhat higher in my opinion. I also think that this is a good compromise. What say y'all.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about the "sticky stuff" part of the equation and I believe I have a solution. I agree that grip enhancing substances should never be allowed, and I agree that doing it is in fact, cheating. That said, I also believe that a MLB ball is FAR too slick. The seams are so low it's almost impossible to get a decent grip, and thus, spin rate, on the ball. I'm not suggesting that MLB seams should be like a NHSO ball where the younger boys can REALLY get a grip on it and spin the hell out of it, but the seams should be somewhat higher in my opinion. I also think that this is a good compromise. What say y'all.
    I think MLB should consider the the texture of the Japanese League ball. Has better grip.\
    https://japaninja.pro/difference-bet...nese-baseball/
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

7. Member
    They can shift all they want ---on the infield . Stay on the dirt . You guys that keep saying just drop down a bunt , Are you serious ??? You think fans want to watch the stars drop a down a bunt ? NOPE !!
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    They can shift all they want ---on the infield . Stay on the dirt . You guys that keep saying just drop down a bunt , Are you serious ??? You think fans want to watch the stars drop a down a bunt ? NOPE !!
    I think if that bunt lead to a win the fans would like it.

9. Member
    Or just a very hard ground ball to the third base side. You just know hitters like Rose would just love the switch.

10. Member
    It is real hard for a hitter that has the shift on his pull side to go to the opposite field when they are pounding him on the inside of the plate. The hitter has to be able to hit that one mistake pitch that wanders middle out and take it the other way. Dead pull hitters that get paid for power and strikeouts don't get held against them are subject to an effective shift. Until ownership stops bringing up hitters that are dead pull hitters and strike out on average once a game this wont change. Stopping the shift will make the pitchers throw outside pitches for strikes and the hitter will have to prove they can hit it without rolling over on it for an infield ground ball. Back in the day a good hitter would get off of the plate, move up in the batters box, choke up on the bat and shoot an inside pitch the other way and head down to first base. That is a lost art....for now.
    Last edited by KennyVexus; 07-22-2021 at 04:06 PM.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

11. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 04:37 AM.

12. Member
    Temporary rule change due to so many games being cancelled due to covid.

13. Member
    Hitters like Rose do not have shift put on them .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

14. Member
    It is real hard for a hitter that has the shift on his pull side to go to the opposite field when they are pounding him on the inside of the plate. The hitter has to be able to hit that one mistake pitch that wanders middle out and take it the other way. Dead pull hitters that get paid for power and strikeouts don't get held against them are subject to an effective shift. Until ownership stops bringing up hitters that are dead pull hitters and strike out on average once a game this wont change. Stopping the shift will make the pitchers throw outside pitches for strikes and the hitter will have to prove they can hit it without rolling over on it for an infield ground ball. Back in the day a good hitter would get off of the plate, move up in the batters box, choke up on the bat and shoot an inside pitch the other way and head down to first base. That is a lost art....for now.

Great post.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

15. Banned
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 04:34 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Wanna bet?...
    I see what you did right there.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

17. Member
    As I sit here watching the Red Sox/Yankees and missing the Pedro/Varitek/A-rod bench clearing fisticuffs, I miss the old rivalry. Something needs to fire it back up!
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Or just a very hard ground ball to the third base side. You just know hitters like Rose would just love the switch.
    Hit it where they ain't. Pete was one of the best at it.

19. Banned
    l.
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 07-24-2021 at 04:34 AM.

20. Member
    You r exactly right. And Pete would have a field day If they used the switch on him.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast