Help with 03' 521VX battery drain

I have a 2003 521VX w/ the keypad. We were at a lake with no electric by the dock for a few days so we couldn't plug in overnight. I have always been able to recharge in the past. After two days, my main battery was dead. (Not trolling motor batteries) My buddies batteries were not. I thought I had a bad battery so I went and bought a new one. The next day, same thing. This was a small lake so we were not running the big motor much. I would enter my code and push stop so the boat ignition would be "locked" at night but I would leave my breaker on so the bilge pump would be able to run if needed. In the mornings I would enter my code, start the motor, and go where we were going to fish. Once there, I would push stop. Am I doing something wrong? Should I enter my code and push stop every time I stop? Or do I have a problem I need to track down?
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

2. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    How many graphs do you have with built in gps antennas? Those things draw constantly. Although I’m not 100 percent sure of your set up on your boat I know there is a lot of stuff on these things that draw power. And those runs probably help more than we realize.

Wire the bilge pump directly to the battery, turn off breaker.
    2B576211

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    Wire the bilge pump directly to the battery, turn off breaker.
    This and an inline fuse with easy access.

I have two 12" birds, two heading indicators, three if you include the one on my ultrex.

That's what I was thinking. Do I need to enter my code and push stop when I get to each place I'm going to fish each time?
    2003 Ranger 521VX

Do I need to enter my code and push stop when I get to each place I'm going to fish each time?
    No, you do not.
    2B576211

Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    Do I need to enter my code and push stop when I get to each place I'm going to fish each time?
    No, you do not.

Thank you Sir!
    2003 Ranger 521VX

8. Member
    I had issue with my z521l, main battery drain. Found it was c monster on power poles (rf radio for remote controls). It was wired by ranger to main battery directly. Took it off and put it on main power cutoff. No more drained battery

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    I had issue with my z521l, main battery drain. Found it was c monster on power poles (rf radio for remote controls). It was wired by ranger to main battery directly. Took it off and put it on main power cutoff. No more drained battery

I'm sure that't part of it. I've got dual blades. They are wired thru my breaker though.
    2003 Ranger 521VX

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
    I'm sure that't part of it. I've got dual blades. They are wired thru my breaker though.
    need to put poles on a master on/off switch
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Most auto bilges are also wired direct to battery. I would shut the breaker off and try. I’m suprised the poles don’t flip the breaker(30amp? Each pole takes a 40amp fuse. My buddy’s 05 521 had a bad key pad that would randomly not shut the engine off . We found even when it did it still had the engine powered up and would kill the battery in like a day and a half
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

I'm going to have to dig into this over the weekend. I'll see what I can find. I did order a new keypad about a year ago and replace my old one. The old one still worked but I wanted to get one while I could.
    2003 Ranger 521VX

13. Member
    Don’t mean to hijack this and will also post this in my own thread, but thought I would add here as well. It might also help others.

I’m having a similar issue with a new 2021 Z520C Ranger from Pro’s Choice (not their issue, just saying where it came from) where the cranking battery was getting killed in half a day of fishing. Went about it in three steps so far and still having issues.

1) Was leaving the 12 Live at the console running, while fishing up front with that Live unit left running, battery was dying and impacting 4S motor operation
    2) Started putting the console unit in standby mode when up front, battery was still dying (just a little later) and impacting 4S motor operation
    3) Replaced the Interstate Dual P 31AGM with an X2 Dual P 31AGM - the “gold” standard for ProXS cranking batteries, battery was still getting run WAY down when tester was used after getting off of the water
    4) Added a supplemental charger with built in tester to ensure cranking battery was being fully charged as I had a tournament this weekend and had read that the built in Dual Pro Li capable capable chargers would often only charge an AGM cranking battery to ~75% (which it was in fact doing) - by adding this the battery was getting a 100% charge - Tournament day followed all of my standby routines and added putting the unit up front in standby when not needing it as I was worried about the 100+ mile run (round trip) and getting back. All went according to plan however 1/2 mile from check-in the engine went into safe mode which it will do on Low Voltage. Luckily it happened when I was this close to check-in so no tournament issues. Got the boat back home and put it on the tester, sure enough drained almost completely.

So now I need to figure out what is going on and if it is the C Monster issue referenced above. Anyway I can check this on my own, or if there are any other things to look at?

14. Member
    Easy to check. Shut every thing down, and take your phone and see on Bluetooth if c monster is available. If it is, poles are still powered up