Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Bill, this is a great project. I am interested in what you did to build your autoscan module? What board did you use? Feel free to pass along any information you would like to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappieguy84 View Post
    Bill, this is a great project. I am interested in what you did to build your autoscan module? What board did you use? Feel free to pass along any information you would like to share.
    This is the timer relay board I am using, It has worked flawlessly for the last year. programming instructions are confusing but The attached video link does a good job. I must have watched it a dozen times while setting up the board.

This pic shows how the individual components are connected. I have since added a speed control to the circuit and it greatly expands usefulness of the unit.
    I built this just out of curiosity but have used it a lot, especially after adding the speed control. I use it two ways:
    1) I scan back and forth about 180 degrees in front of the boat to find fish or structure while moving down the bank.
    2) I set it a to very slow speed so that it rocks back and forth a short distance to widen the scan zone while I am locked on a piece of structure.

I plan to develop a build sheet for this but designing a new foot pedal with integrated speed control has taken up most of my free time.

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 02-04-2024 at 10:15 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Thank you!

Finally finished the foot switch with integrated speed control. Many thanks to my friend Harold for designing and 3D printing the housing.
    Roy Barrow mentioned that he had an occasion where he accidentally actuated both direction switches on the Linmaster switch and blew a fuse. I felt that my button design was even more susceptible to this problem so I used a “Stomp” switch for the direction control. This switch has a significant initial travel before reaching a firm spot where you have to consciously press down more to actuate it. I don’t think you could accidentally engage both at the same time.
    I am currently cleaning up and improving the build sheet and including this switch as an option. Should be able to post it soon.

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    As usual...first class Mr Bill.

I ended up on mine moving back to the relay module and rewiring the LineMaster to use a single micro-switch on each side. Completely eliminated the issue.

Now....having just installed a HB TargetLock on Brandon Card's boat just in time for Lake Oahe event, I am having heading sensor envy. It works pretty well but still has a few issues to work out (IMHO). It uses a heading sensor mounted to the top of the shaft so when the button is pressed, it captures the heading and keeps it locked on that same relative heading. Pretty cool.

When I have a month or two....I hope to investigate in more depth. <LOL>!

Roy
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service
    Power Pole - Lowrance - Garmin - DD26
    Regional Warranty Service for Lowrance Ghost, Garmin Force, & Power Pole

Phone: 704-762-9066 --- Text: 704-433-1373 --- roy@wackyriggers.com

6. Member
    Hey Bill, It has been a little bit of time. How has this worked out for you? Looks like great work.

Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Hey Bill, It has been a little bit of time. How has this worked out for you? Looks like great work.
    It is working great but I continue to improve. I recently designed a limit switch circuit to restrict rotation to about 300 degrees. I have it installed on my unit but want to use it a while before publishing a build sheet.
    I have several other modifications:
    I have an improved mounting method to attach the pole to the Ultrex bracket.
    I have a Ghost bracket and template but need to build one from it before publishing.
    I am building a small footprint pedal that includes the stomp switches, speed control and AutoScan in one enclosure. I have it mocked up and have an enclosure but there is still quite a lot of work.
    With all these updates, I will probably wait until all are proven then create a new build sheet.

8. Member
    awesome build and thank you so much for all the detailed info you provided. started building mine now

9. Member
    Hi Bill, Just came across this. Great info, great work. Do you, or anyone, know how much a fab shop charges to build the Ultrex mounting bracket using Aluminum (approximately)? I don't have tools nor skills to make one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glock-19 View Post
    Hi Bill, Just came across this. Great info, great work. Do you, or anyone, know how much a fab shop charges to build the Ultrex mounting bracket using Aluminum (approximately)? I don't have tools nor skills to make one. Thanks.
    I don’t know how much it would cost, but call Roy Barrow at Wacky Riggers, he does a lot of custom work and would be the best source , especially if he could get several people wanting one.
    I have a friend that does some welding and he cut mine out of 1/4 inch steel with a plasma cutter. (Hand held)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I don’t know how much it would cost, but call Roy Barrow at Wacky Riggers, he does a lot of custom work and would be the best source , especially if he could get several people wanting one.
    I have a friend that does some welding and he cut mine out of 1/4 inch steel with a plasma cutter. (Hand held)
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckt View Post
    awesome build and thank you so much for all the detailed info you provided. started building mine now
    I was planning to hold off on posting some recent design improvements until I could create an entire new document , but I have seen quite a lot of activity lately and thought I should post this one.
    This is a better way to attach the pole to the bracket. The pics show the simple mounting of the brackets.

I have a design to add switches to restrict transducer rotation to about 300 degrees and a new totally integrated foot pedal but I will wait on those until I complete testing.
    both of these can be added to existing builds.

13. Member
    Nice.

14. Member
    Thank you for sharing all this knowledge, looks like a great project looking forward to seeing your latest design

15. Member
    Hello Mr Bill - I saw your thread and had to do one for my MG X3. I made some dog bone connectors to off set the pole, and downsized the PVC to better fit my install. I also have since replaced the velcro holding the direction switch with a stainless tab, I used the velcro to get the proper working distance - measure twice, cut once kinda thing, LOL I put an on/off switch at the front for it, and installed the for/rev box under the bow of my Tracker 185 XT. Now that I have it all in a working state, I'm thinking about doing one in all aluminum. Thanks for the info, to get me started, but it was all your idea....

20230128_155612.jpg20230128_155627.jpg20230128_155654.jpg20230128_155700.jpg20230128_155707.jpg20230128_155714.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    Hello Mr Bill - I saw your thread and had to do one for my MG X3. I made some dog bone connectors to off set the pole, and downsized the PVC to better fit my install. I also have since replaced the velcro holding the direction switch with a stainless tab, I used the velcro to get the proper working distance - measure twice, cut once kinda thing, LOL I put an on/off switch at the front for it, and installed the for/rev box under the bow of my Tracker 185 XT. Now that I have it all in a working state, I'm thinking about doing one in all aluminum. Thanks for the info, to get me started, but it was all your idea....

20230128_155612.jpg20230128_155627.jpg20230128_155654.jpg20230128_155700.jpg20230128_155707.jpg20230128_155714.jpg

That looks really good. I especially like the mounting to the trolling motor shaft. I wish the Ultrex was a split shaft. Makes mounting easier. I have tried to come up with a dog bone to work with one side rotating but so far nothing but warts.
    I have several upgrades that I will publish soon. One that you might like is a switch arrangement that restricts rotation to about 300 degrees. It can be added to existing units.
    Thanks for posting A very clever design and build.

17. Member
    Bill, THANK you for posting and all your efforts! This is great stuff!
    I have an old Minn Kota Autopilot 865 trolling motor with a micro touch trolling motor pedal for steering.
    I am tinkering with the idea of disassembling the unit and taking the steering motor and associated foot pedal and creating a mount to attached to my Garmin Force trolling motor.
    Do you or anyone you know have any experience trying this??

Quote Originally Posted by webbow View Post
    Bill, THANK you for posting and all your efforts! This is great stuff!
    I have an old Minn Kota Autopilot 865 trolling motor with a micro touch trolling motor pedal for steering.
    I am tinkering with the idea of disassembling the unit and taking the steering motor and associated foot pedal and creating a mount to attached to my Garmin Force trolling motor.
    Do you or anyone you know have any experience trying this??
    I have a friend that uses a power drive unit as a transducer pole, It is mounted on his deck though. I don’t think he uses the foot pedal, I wired up an Executive 74 switch for him.
    It works well for him.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post

Bob, this looks like a perfect way to add this to a ghost. Can you tell me how you made the dog bone supports? Are they commercially available and if so where? Thanks man this has been a project I want to get to and this is a change in mounting that seems more simple than machining a mount for the motor head. I don't know much about machining and have not the tools to do so. This is a great improvement on a great idea from Mr. Reynolds. Thanks to both of you.
    2013 X19 F200LB Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by 1pooldoc View Post
    Bob, this looks like a perfect way to add this to a ghost. Can you tell me how you made the dog bone supports? Are they commercially available and if so where? Thanks man this has been a project I want to get to and this is a change in mounting that seems more simple than machining a mount for the motor head. I don't know much about machining and have not the tools to do so. This is a great improvement on a great idea from Mr. Reynolds. Thanks to both of you.
    I am also interested in Bob’s design. I just finished my Ghost bracket yesterday, but feel it will need an additional supporting bracket. I attached the new bracket design for your reference but Bob’s design is much better.
    This should work on any split shaft trolling motor.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 02-24-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast