2017 RT 198P Motor Hole Mount

Hey everyone. I just purchased a new to me 2017 Ranger RT 198P with 150 fourstroke yesterday. 23P stainless prop on it. No jackplate. I tried to search but most posts were with jackplate setups.

I took it out when I first got it (dealer is on the lake), then out last night. Best speed I got was 47 mph gps. And that was turning. Not going straight. Speedo says 55 but I don't ever trust those things. I am curious which hole you guys have your motor mounted on? Mine is in the 3rd from the top. I see youtube reviews of guys running 56 mph with no jackplate. So I was a little surprised at a avg speed of 46.

I know this boat is not a speed demon. I just want my boat operating at peak performance. I went from an older ranger glass to this. I was expecting more from what I have seen guys getting on here and reviews on the boat from reputable sources. I can't run a jackplate on this boat or it will not fit in my garage. It's that tight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Few things:
    Four Stroke or four Stroke XS
    Also a full load of gas will have an effect
    Are you hitting your full range of RPM 6000 - 6200
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Regular Fourstroke. Only a 1/4 tank of gas. Rpms according to the gauge are right at 5700-5800. Which is what I thought was max for the non pro xs versions. There is a ultrex on the front. Maybe that's it. Boat rides fantastic. Just thought it would have a little bit more than it does.

4. Member
    The Merc 150 is a true 20" motor length and I believe your transom is close to 21.5" on that model year. I suspect you motor is WAY too high believe it or not. I bet you will find best lift and therefore speed in the lowest position the motor will go into that's the top hole.

Is it losing grip when you start to come onto plane or in turns?

I also suspect that 23p Tempest Plus will be just right when you get the motor lowered.

You should join the Facebook Ranger Aluminum Boat Owners group. Tons of great info and discussions there specific to your boat. I have a 2021 RT198P and have just started the process to dial it in. This group is where I am finding the best help and info.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    The Merc 150 is a true 20" motor length and I believe your transom is close to 21.5" on that model year. I suspect you motor is WAY too high believe it or not. I bet you will find best lift and therefore speed in the lowest position the motor will go into that's the top hole.

Is it losing grip when you start to come onto plane or in turns?

I also suspect that 23p Tempest Plus will be just right when you get the motor lowered.

You should join the Facebook Ranger Aluminum Boat Owners group. Tons of great info and discussions there specific to your boat. I have a 2021 RT198P and have just started the process to dial it in. This group is where I am finding the best help and info.
    The only time I feel I lose some grip is trimming down or slowing down some. I don't even know if it's grip. It just feels different than my glass boat. I will definitely check out that facebook group. Appreciate the response.

I would also try to lower the motor. I have the jack plate so i can get into some skinny water, less than a 1'. But when I run the boat, other than WOT, I need the jack plate all the way down and the motor trimmed in, otherwise it will porpoise.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    Thanks for all of the help. Looks like I need to lower the motor. I will have to call around and get some estimates on how much it will be to do it. I don't think I can do it by myself.

Do you have a buddy with an engine hoist? Then you would just need a bracket / hoist ring to attach to the fly wheel. You can find some DIY made hoist rings.
    **Use this need to adjust your motor to buy tools!**
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest