Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OkAce View Post
    So do you think Clunn should have to drop down and re-qualify?
    He can only lose a legends exemption to KVD I believe.... So, he will not have to worry.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

If your getting cut you most likely are not supporting your family with money you have earned from BASS. I'm sure there maybe 1 or 2 exceptions.

is this cut a new thing are just a big deal because they started it up again?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    If your getting cut you most likely are not supporting your family with money you have earned from BASS. I'm sure there maybe 1 or 2 exceptions.

is this cut a new thing are just a big deal because they started it up again?
    I guess guys are upset they brought it back? Its always been a think and was only paused during the exodus.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think Clunn should get an exemption for as long as he wants to fish the Elites. His last two wins were extremely inspiring and were great. He literally led BASS into the public eye and has given a lot to that organization and bass fishing itself. He was not just any other angler. He is a living legend and to me should always have a spot with BASS if he chooses. Some of the other exemptions I look at less favorably though as a fan.
    Every legend in every sport reaches point where they're not competitive anymore. They either retire, or get retired.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    I just look at it like he was a trailblazer and without him there may not be as many opportunities for anglers in pro fishing. If an exception is to be made he is more than worthy of it. He is a very small group of anglers that I think get exceptions......Clunn along with KVD. Hard to list any after them.
    Should the Colts or the Broncos make a spot for Peyton Manning knowing that he can no longer perform at the professional level? Simply because of his name?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Should the Colts or the Broncos make a spot for Peyton Manning knowing that he can no longer perform at the professional level? Simply because of his name?

Do the Colts or Broncos charge an entry fee to play on their team? Its an apples and coconuts comparison.

7. Member
    Maybe its time they emulate Golf better. How about:

- A Senior Bass Tour for the old and famous ones who don't need the grind, but would fish and fans could still get to see? Senior Bassmasters event
    - Qualifiers for Events. Top 5 (n) get in
    - Amateurs for certain events (Winners of College "major" events)...
    - and the biggie - reduce the entry fee's dramatically and the Tx's are sponsored by corporations.....Use the Charity loophole that Golf uses.

etc....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Every legend in every sport reaches point where they're not competitive anymore. They either retire, or get retired.

He has won twice during a timeframe when some of the ones that will still be there have not won at all.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Rick Clunn, THE Legend, has won twice on highly competitive waters in the very recent past! There are exceptions for any rule, & Rick Clunn should absolutely be an exception if necessary. At his age I can see him not wanting to fish the entire season but he absolutely belongs in the highest levels of B.A.S.S. Competition!

KVD is the only other person I can think of that would meet that criteria and frankly Rick has done it longer at the highest level.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    There are a few reasons why I think it's a bad move on BASS's part.

First of all, I understand that they have to let new guys in somehow from the Opens and some have to go as a result, but this massive cut is a whole other ball of wax. Those guys they cut have families to support, they have fans, and that's what they have built their lives around. In the background, I know the corporate guys don't care much for that, but I think for a lot of fans who realize what's going on, it may not make some too happy.

BASS for a long time has wanted to emulate Nascar. Nascar obviously died with Dale. But what actually killed it was the mass exodus of drivers that the fans enjoyed watching, listening to, and whatever. When they left and got replaced by children for the most part, the older hardcore fans left. Now instead of 180,000 at Bristol they have 70,000 fans. Start taking away the guys people relate to and enjoy watching and you risk loosing your base of fans.

I have long been a college football fan. Specifically, a Tennessee fan. The last 15 years have destroyed my interest in football because my team sucks and might as well quit. I also refuse to become a Bama fan.

This is happening in my opinion, to change or broaden their demographics, their fan base. Didn't Nascar say that at one time? How'd it work out? Fans of professional fishing are quite frankly a limited group of people. I hope it doesn't bite them in the backside.
    Every pro athlete has family and himself to support. And they have also built their lives around the sport. No difference for pro fishermen. Are the personalities what drive the sport? Or is it the competition? IMHO, if you water down the competition, you slowly kill the sport. By hanging onto the legends, and keeping their names in the headlines, they'll probably lose the future because no one else will have a chance to reach that" "legendary" status! As far as being a fan of the Vols, I have to question your true fandom. If a team is your home team, even if they suck. You don't completely jump ship! If you do, you shouldn't come back when they right the ship!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by OkAce View Post
    So by allowing him to stay regardless of his points that knocks someone out who should actually qualify or am I missing something?
    If they follow what they have done all along he wouldn't be taking anyone's place. A field of 90 plus the three exemptions, total of 93. Look at it this way. Rookie on tour is struggling. He ask Clunn, Fritts, etc
    what am I going to do, what next. You don't think those guys could give them great advice. The old saying "Wise Old Man" has a lot of meaning. But I do get that in today's society most get kicked to the curb.

I would like to see BASS come up with a Legends circuit. Not a tour, maybe three or four events. Have marshalls just like Elites. Have it two days max. The night before have a dinner for anglers and marshalls. Whoever marshalled in those would have some stories to tell and some lessons learned. Johnny would probably put up some $$ for that
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    Yeah so they basically have no idea.... They don't know how legends exemptions even work....
    They stated several times this was a first stab at what they thought BASS would end up with.
    At least they did some math.
    They also have Bernie as the "last man in", if so, he did save himself at St. Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post

I would like to see BASS come up with a Legends circuit. Not a tour, maybe three or four events. Have marshalls just like Elites. Have it two days max. The night before have a dinner for anglers and marshalls. Whoever marshalled in those would have some stories to tell and some lessons learned. Johnny would probably put up some $$ for that
    I think that would be cool to watch

14. Member
    As far as Rick Clunn goes, I'd ride with him any day of the week and twice on Sunday and be proud to do it. Rick Clunn is today as tough of a fisherman and as much of a threat as Tom Brady is at Quaterback. What did he bring in day 1 on Lake Fork last year? Rick is not a washed up old pro who can't compete.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    As far as Rick Clunn goes, I'd ride with him any day of the week and twice on Sunday and be proud to do it. Rick Clunn is today as tough of a fisherman and as much of a threat as Tom Brady is at Quaterback. What did he bring in day 1 on Lake Fork last year? Rick is not a washed up old pro who can't compete.
    Then he should have qualified inside the cut list. If the rules are the rules why should we bend, provide exceptions, etc.? Like others said they should drop down to the Opens and requalify.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    If they didnt make room for BP, Gman, Latimer, Martin, Hackney, Christie. They aren't making it for anyone. That take doesn't even make sense and they hurt the brand if they do that.
    Nailed it

So you’re saying Clunn should QUIT
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

I think Clunn should get an exemption for as long as he wants to fish the Elites. His last two wins were extremely inspiring and were great. He literally led BASS into the public eye and has given a lot to that organization and bass fishing itself. He was not just any other angler. He is a living legend and to me should always have a spot with BASS if he chooses. Some of the other exemptions I look at less favorably though as a fan.
    Serious question Mark. Would you feel the same if Roland Martin, Bill Dance or Hank Parker wanted to come back and fish the Elites?

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Serious question Mark. Would you feel the same if Roland Martin, Bill Dance or Hank Parker wanted to come back and fish the Elites?

Maybe Roland but not the others because Clunn has paid his dues by fishing with BASS over the years and has accomplished probably the most in BASS besides KVD. The other gentlemen you mentioned are legends as well and not meaning to slight them but they quit fishing tournaments and moved on. Clunn has still continue to fish both Elites and the Opens this whole time.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigzz4344 View Post
    Then he should have qualified inside the cut list. If the rules are the rules why should we bend, provide exceptions, etc.? Like others said they should drop down to the Opens and requalify.
    Nothing against him but this is where I stand as well.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast