loose reel seats

how do you guys fix loose reel seats without totally stripping a rod and replacing it? I have two people asking if I can fix rods with this issue and figure there is a way, I figured the simple way would be some super glue between the reel seat and cork on both ends of the seat but is there a better way?

2. Member
    I’ve never fixed one but have researched it a bit. The common consensus that I’ve seen is you can GENTLY drill holes in the front and back of the reel seat where the reel foot sits without hitting the blank, this way the reel foot will cover the holes. Then take a syringe filled with epoxy and push as much as you can in the holes you made.

there might be a better way to do it without stripping the rod and replacing all the cork and stuff though. That’s just what I’ve seen
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    I’ve never fixed one but have researched it a bit. The common consensus that I’ve seen is you can GENTLY drill holes in the front and back of the reel seat where the reel foot sits without hitting the blank, this way the reel foot will cover the holes. Then take a syringe filled with epoxy and push as much as you can in the holes you made.

there might be a better way to do it without stripping the rod and replacing all the cork and stuff though. That’s just what I’ve seen
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Works best if the seat will rotate and transport the epoxy through out the work.

5. Member
    I have drilled several 1/8" holes in cork, right up against the reel seat and angling back under the seat and then injected epoxy into these holes . Do both ends of the seat and good as new.(or good as done right the first time). Seen this problem with several Castaway rods back in the day.

6. Goby King
    I carefully drill holes in the seat where the reel hides them when installed. Then inject epoxy in the holes while spinning the seat to distribute it. I recently did a rebuild on a musky rod I fixed like that and I had a really hard time removing the seat.

Actually thin CA glue thru holes in the top of the seat is the best we have found. Get a needle type applicator, put in little holes drilled along top of seat where reel would cover them, let it soak, little more, so on. The thin CA runs all over the place and will run all around the inside of the seat and even drip out the bottom where the exposed blank is if you put in too much. That stuff is thinner than water.

8. Member
    Thanks everyone…….what is CA glue

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    You can get CA glue at any hobby shop that has R/C cars. They use it to glue the tires to the rim, its very thin so be careful!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Super glue is in the CA class, they set by contact with moisture. Low toxicity in use.

11. Member
    Drill holes in Reel seat like mentioned above or remove rear grip and glue reel seat with rod bond and replace rear grip/grips.