Question 2002 Mercury 200EFI low on power?

S/N 0T565896

I've been having some engine problems hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

So recently I've noticed my EFI seems to be running rough and is lacking power.

It always starts right up at the beginning of the day but seems to be running rich. It smokes more then it should and shakes pretty bad at idle. (I premix the engine 50/1)

After I run it for a bit I sometime have to advance the throttle to get it to start but not always

When I'm fishing tournaments and have my livewells full with a coangler it wont plane out unless my Co gets on the front deck. When I'm by myself it'll plane out but it still takes a minute. I'm running a 25p tempest plus. It seems like its getting worse and worse. When I first mounted the engine on the boat (a 2002 procraft superpro) it would jump right out of the hole.

It also seems to be lacking power on the top end. I'm only seeing 5100-5300 RPM and I can barley hit 60mph by myself and 57 with my Co.

I recently checked the compression with 3 different compression gauges and it was 125 on all cylinders.

I also changed the plugs and fuel filter. The plugs definitely looked like it was running rich. Once I changed the plugs it idles a bit better and started better after running but didn't help the planing or top end.

Any ideas on what it might be? I'm thinking maybe injectors need to be flowed or reeds possibly? Thanks for the help guys

2. Member
    check see if tuner is loose or fell off, restricting exhaust
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Can you elaborate on that I'm not familiar with how to check that.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Remove gearcase, reach up into driveshaft housing to see if the tuner can be moved around in the exhaust cavity (it should be firmly affixed and not move AT ALL).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    ^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    will do, Thanks guys!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Remove gearcase, reach up into driveshaft housing to see if the tuner can be moved around in the exhaust cavity (it should be firmly affixed and not move AT ALL).

just got done checking the tuner. It was not loose. Any other ideas?

8. Member
    just checked the tuner, it was not loose.

9. Member
    I have had similar issues. These guys were great in helping resolve the problem. Made trouble shooting the problem more difficult by inspecting the vst and bumping the float. Once they suggested that I connect a 6 gallon tank to the motor, began closing in on the problem. Corrected the float, fuel pump no longer starving. Come to find out the issue was with my onboard fuel tank. Motor runs great, awesome power each time I plane off.
    2002 efi s/n ot444399
    Last edited by Dalehill; 07-21-2021 at 06:11 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalehill View Post
    I have had similar issues. These guys were great in helping resolve the problem. Made trouble shooting the problem more difficult by inspecting the vst and bumping the float. Once they suggested that I connect a 6 gallon tank to the motor, began closing in on the problem. Corrected the float, fuel pump no longer starving. Come to find out the issue was with my onboard fuel tank. Motor runs great, awesome power each time I plane off.
    2002 efi s/n Or 444399.

that could definitely be the issue. What did you have to do to the VST and how did you fix your fuel tank?

11. Member
    Blew compressed air back to the tank. Remove an extra fuel/water separator filter. The vst was actually clean. My bad bumping the float.
    Last edited by Dalehill; 07-21-2021 at 06:28 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalehill View Post
    Blew compressed air back to the tank. Remove an extra fuel/water separator filter. The vst was actually clean. My bad bumping the float.
    ill have to see if I have a extra filter, I don't believe I do. I wonder what's making mine run so rich.

13. Member
    test air temp sensor as per serv manuel

14. Member
    test air temp sensor as per serv manuel
    Will do!