correct size wire and type

gonna be rewiring my helix 7 the run is 15' or so ....bow to starting battery.

what size wire should i use and type of wire. thx

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Best wire for this application

Tinned Copper 10 AWG Cable, 30 ft Red & 30 ft Black, 105 strands 0.254 mm tinned copper wire, protecting them from corrosion, and easy to solder.

$33.99

https://www.amazon.com/10-Gauge-Wire...879955&sr=8-26
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Not marine grade. The insulation and the fact there is no printed spec's on the wire are troubling to me. I have been disappointed a few times with unlabeled unknown origin items from wire to fuel lines. Yes it is cheap. You take your chances. Even the "copper wire" is not rated for purity(for ampacity). JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Agree with Bob on the 2nd link. I would definitely go with the one that Wayne posted. A little more expensive but marine grade and sheathed.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    There are better marine certified prices as well.

Thx all

Feel free to spend 84 dollars for 30 feet

I wired four graphs with hook up wire and other than a lithium battery it’s the best thing I could have done

105/30 stranding is the best you can get in a 10awg wire and will provide you with the lowest resistance
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    So now we need 10 ga wire to pull 1 - 2 amps in a 30' circuit that connects to 24 ga from the unit with a 2 (I assume) amp fuse.

In the old days when were dumb and broke we would have wired it up with a 16/2 extension cord from Walmart.

Twisted connections and Walmart electrical tape.

Don't recommend that as a good practice, but I wired up lots of depth finders that way. They all worked. From Super Sixty's to 997's.

Obviously, the wire recommended is great. Minor bit of over kill, but heck it's just money.

Whatever the OP chooses to use, I heartily recommend buying good connectors, good tools, and learning to use the them properly.

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    So now we need 10 ga wire to pull 1 - 2 amps in a 30' circuit that connects to 24 ga from the unit with a 2 (I assume) amp fuse.

In the old days when were dumb and broke we would have wired it up with a 16/2 extension cord from Walmart.

Twisted connections and Walmart electrical tape.

Don't recommend that as a good practice, but I wired up lots of depth finders that way. They all worked. From Super Sixty's to 997's.

Obviously, the wire recommended is great. Minor bit of over kill, but heck it's just money.

Whatever the OP chooses to use, I heartily recommend buying good connectors, good tools, and learning to use the them properly.
    I can tell you that, for Solix, it isn't overkill. With cheap wiring you loose "umph" between the battery and device and the Solix is very "umph" dependent.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I can tell you that, for Solix, it isn't overkill. With cheap wiring you loose "umph" between the battery and device and the Solix is very "umph" dependent.
    But it’s not a Solix or a large draw unit. It’s a Small Helix 7.

Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Do it correctly the first time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    I went with 8 gauge marine. There is not such thing as overkill for these HB units LOL.

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    I think you see the trend in the responses to the question. It's not as much about "draw" as it is what you loose between the battery and the unit by using small cheap wiring... both voltage and amps.

15. Member
    Now I know no one has thought of this, but if I remember correctly, the HB installation manual tells us what to use for wire sizes.

It's still volts and amps. I'll bet you'll have higher voltage drop with 8 ga wire and crap connections than you will with 12 and good ones.

For one Helix 7, I would have no fear with 12. 14, maybe even 16 would work. Now if the OP wants to plan for future expansion, another entirely different issue.

I see the trend. Big is better. Cost is not important. Forget what is needed, just run big wire.

I had a Helix 7 in an old john boat wired up with extension cords. Worked perfectly for years until I sold the boat. To best of my knowledge still working. I bet it wouldn't work any better with 8 ga marine wire.

Point I'm trying to make is to use what is needed. No less, no more.

When I put the new Helix 10's on my Skeeter, 1 each bow and console, I used exactly the wire Wayne called out. It's over kill for one unit, but if I upgrade no issue.

This whole voltage issue is uncomfortable to start with. If low voltage is an issue on a particular unit, how come it doesn't get better when the big motor is running? I see no difference in my Helix 10's at 12.2 volts or 13.6. They suck since 2.180 period.

16. Member
    I agree with your approach. I do think going slightly larger than necessary is the way to go. These units are not getting smaller. A little wiggle room has value as well. Poor connections defeat the wire size every time. The cost difference between 10 and 12 is close enough to make it worthwhile. Going to 8 is another step up on cost, but that will also cost you in crimping tools and connectors. Many terminal blocks can't accommodate #8 well either. The other way (14 or 16) is short sighted. You also threw in Lithium voltage(13.6) That is a guaranty of adequate voltage, but again at a premium price. I am fortunate enough I have larger wire and Lithium power. 30 years ago I might be tempted to go small. Now I want to do this once and be done forever. We all have different reasons. Scrimping will bite you in the end. Bob

Scrimping will bite you in the end.
    Been there done that! Put 10 Gauge in last year -- traded up to Solix--- now I'm putting 8 gauge to the bow.

18. Member

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Do it correctly the first time.
    What’s the recommended connectors to use when connecting to the power cord? Is the power cord 12,14 or 16 ga? Would you run the 10 ga to an inline fuse and then the inline fuse to the power cord? I did it on my last boat but can’t really remember. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    What’s the recommended connectors to use when connecting to the power cord? Is the power cord 12,14 or 16 ga? Would you run the 10 ga to an inline fuse and then the inline fuse to the power cord? I did it on my last boat but can’t really remember. Thanks
    The power cord is at most 18 gauge.
    Some use a step-down splice. BUT the best way is to support the splice via terminal block or fuse panel. Put a ring or spade terminal on the wires to connect to the block/panel.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL