Triton 189TRX not getting enough fuel.

I have a 2016 Triton 189TRX with a E-Tec 150 HO outboard, both purchased new. Boat/motor ran well until last summer. First indication of a problem was the E-Tec suddenly losing power when running on plane. On a few occasions, just stopping and restarting motor took care of it, but a few times I had to squeeze the fuel line bulb. Second issue occurs after stopping and fishing an area for awhile. When trying to start outboard,
    it would turn over for a few seconds and stop. Repeated attempts were the same until I used the fuel line bulb, at which time it started with a few more attempts. On every occasion, these problems occured in the afternoon after it ran and started successfully all morning. I believe that in all
    instances, my 41 gal fuel tank was only 1/3-1/2 filled. Boat was taken to local dealer last year who was able to replicate the problem. After checking everything, there was some concern about the low pressure pump intermittently malfunctioning, so that was replaced along with the fuel line bulb. Also replaced my starting battery with a Odyssey grp 31 AGM. Boat ran fine for the rest of the year, and I assumed problem was solved.
    Last week, the problem recurred. Everything checked out ok at the dealer. They felt that the check valve on the line coming out of the gas tank
    might be intermittently malfunctioning. Valve has been temporarily removed, and I will be testing things out later this week. Don't know if this is an issue but most times when I open my gas cap, there is a significant rush of air out of the tank. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry about the lengtyh of the post. Thanks.

2. Member
    Hard to comment at this moment. Not sure if it’s a motor or boat issue.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Member
    Don't think it's a motor problem. Read some older posts about others having similar issue. One person called Triton and was instructed to remove one of the 3 plugs on the underside of the gas cap,
    and never had it happen again.

4. Member
    Bass boat gas tanks should breathe freely not have a rush of air. Sounds like gas cap not venting properly. I would try running with out gas cap.

5. Member
    I have the same problem. Go and punch it to get out of the hole and onto plane the engine sputters and cuts out. I then find the fuel bulb is soft and need to pump it several times until it is full of fuel and hard they she runs fine. The issue only happens when Running at ideal speeds for more then 5 minutes or after being off for awhile. I was also thinking the low pressure fuel pick up was the issue.

6. Member
    My dealer removed the check valve on the fuel line just outside of the gas tank. Ran it all day yesterday without an issue. Hopefully the problem is fixed. If not, I will try removing one of the 3 plugs on the inside of the gas cap.

7. Member
    Just a quick followup. Ran the boat on Lake Champlain for 3 days after valve was removed. No problems . Hope that solves it permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    My dealer removed the check valve on the fuel line just outside of the gas tank. Ran it all day yesterday without an issue. Hopefully the problem is fixed. If not, I will try removing one of the 3 plugs on the inside of the gas cap.