Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Canadian Border, taking a chance

After reading the requirements for crossing into Canada, I wouldn't say it's actually opening. If you don't meet their requirements when you get to the border then you will have to quarantine in Canada for 14 days and possibly longer. I was really excited about being able to go on the trip that we had to postpone from last year but I can't see taking a chance getting stuck up there, at my own expense, and possibly losing my job just to catch some smallies. I understand these are the rules but I don't think I can take the chance.

2. Member
    What requirements? Isn't it proof of vaccine and a negative test result?

3. Banned
    Can ya quarantine on ya boat !?!

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I think you should read that again.

If you are travelling by car they will just turn you around at the border and you can drive back home.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I agree...I think I will wait till 2022 when all these requirements might be a little better organized, and there is not so many risky unknowns. And still no word on coming back into the US after being in Canada.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Jay View Post
    If you don't meet their requirements when you get to the border then you will have to quarantine in Canada for 14 days and possibly longer.
    From the information that I have read, I believe a person can leave Canada and return to their home. I will agree the rules and information are confusing. It appears that some old information lingers in the web site of Canadian government.

From what I read,
    If you do not have symptoms, you may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

• continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
    • wear a mask when you depart Canada
    • comply with all regulations for the country of destination

7. Banned
    What about when they stop accepting the J&J vaccines considering the science is only saying it has a 65% success rate........ even with having had covid ya chances of catching again is less then the chances of contracting it again

8. Member
    Hate to say it, may be it is because of all the time I have already spent up there, but........

Scenery and the experience aside, there is just as good, if not better fishing for; Walleye, Bass (both Largemouth and Smallmouth) and in some cases Muskie, in the U.S.

I'll admit, I miss my time on the north end of Lake of the Woods......IMMENSELY!

Given the current climate, I'm content fishing in the US.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrocket1 View Post
    What about when they stop accepting the J&J vaccines considering the science is only saying it has a 65% success rate........ even with having had covid ya chances of catching again is less then the chances of contracting it again
    J&J is an approved vaccine in Canada but not many Canadians got J&J because of production issues.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

If you don't meet their requirements when you get to the border then you will have to quarantine in Canada for 14 days and possibly longer.
    Have proof of receiving both vaccines, have proof of a negative test within 72 hours and your good to join us here in the Great White North without quarantine and we'll be very happy to see you.

No different from us coming to the States and meeting your requirements.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlK View Post
    Have proof of receiving both vaccines, have proof of a negative test within 72 hours and your good to join us here in the Great White North without quarantine and we'll be very happy to see you.

Exactly
    Risen From The Ashes!!

12. Member
    [QUOTE=BoatBuggy;11995627]I think you should read that again.

If you are travelling by car they will just turn you around at the border and you can drive back home.[/QUOTE

I have not seen anything that says that. I will have to do some more checking. I'm thinking a phone call and actually talk to someone is the way to go.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlK View Post

My proof of vaccine is a hand written card, one of my worries. I am just worried that out of 8 guys there will be some little problem that will cause an issue. If we can just turn around and leave then I may roll the dice.

My proof of vaccine is a hand written card, one of my worries. I am just worried that out of 8 guys there will be some little problem that will cause an issue. If we can just turn around and leave then I may roll the dice.
    Of course you can just turn around and leave. If you don't have the proper paperwork to prove that you've had both doses of vaccine then they're not going to allow you across the border, simple as that.

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrocket1 View Post
    You are misunderstanding vaccine efficacy rates. The actual number is 72%, not 65%, and it is not a success rate. It is the reduction in cases of a population due only to the vaccine. The actual protection is significantly higher since the exposure rate goes down dramatically in a vaccinated population.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Does your state have an online verification system? In Indiana, you can enter some details online and pull up your vaccination certificate.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

17. Member
    Just imagine how long the lines at the border will be because of the car or two (or theree or four) full of people who have no idea there are requirements and will sit and argue about it with the border guards. At the best of times the lines can be lengthy.

18. Banned
    I think taking the chance means putting together a trip, sending in a deposit on four or five cabins then sending in the balance 60 days before arrival which is required where we stay,
    then possibly having one or more getting turned around at the border. That's the consensus with our group of 12 right now and we won't be returning until there is complete clarity of what is required and acceptable.

So if we live on border waters and want to travel by boat into Canadian waters a couple times a week we would need to get a test every 3 days?

and do we need to stop at a customs agency before and after each trip?

I fish Lake St Clair, Detroit river and St Clair river and this would be crazy to even try to deal with
    "The handicapped angler"

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. land borders with Canada and Mexico will remain closed to non-essential travel until at least Aug. 21, the U.S. Homeland Security Department said on Wednesday.

P01135809

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast