Side Scan, and Down Scan Is Tanked

I have 2 12" Carbons, but a 10 year old structure scan module and an LSS 1 transducer. Constantly having trouble with the console unit when scanning.

What can I do to upgrade my system to fully utilize the Carbons? Which Module and Transducer?

Thanks!

2. Member
    AI 3 in 1 transducer or StructureScan 3D are both supported on Carbon units and will actually allow your units full capability. With the old Structure module, they were forced to run in Legacy mode.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Thank you for your response!

Do you have a suggestion, either way? What would be the advantage of one over the other?

Is the module replaced also, or are the 3 in 1, and 3D SS both just transducers? Please excuse my stupidity...

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

4. Member
    SS3D is a ducer and module that will replace your existing module, AI 2in1/3in1 will connect directly to Carbon. I wont suggest one over the other, as its personal preference.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

5. Member
    I like a 3D structure scan module and transducer
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    SS3D is a ducer and module that will replace your existing module, AI 2in1/3in1 will connect directly to Carbon. I wont suggest one over the other, as its personal preference.
    If I went with AI 3 in 1, would I keep all the nema and ethernet networking cables...and LSS 1 box intact and use the same as I am now?

Right now the 3 in 1 is the way I'm leaning.

7. Member
    Keep NMEA as is. Connect the two Carbons by a single Ethernet cable. Add the 3 in 1 (or StructureScan 3D) and get rid of your present module and transducer. It will only cause issues. Gen 3 and above are NOT completely compatible with Legacy modules/units and will have issues if you keep them in the network. There is no need for it and you can probably sell it to get some cash for it. If you do get the 3 in 1 be sure to watch videos before you mount it as they are very tough to get mounted so they will read well on plane and do good sidescan too. My preference is 3D.

NoCAL
    2B112175

8. Member
    So, if I replace my LSS 1 module and 'ducer with a 3D SS, it's just an even swap...correct? The 3D SS has a module and transducer, just like my LSS 1 set up, if I'm understanding correctly.

I've heard some great things about the detail of the 3D SS transducer. I could definitely go that way if I can get good results.

Would the installation go something like this...pull out my present module, after unhooking connections, and mount new 3D SS module. Mount 3D SS transducer and run cable to new module. One ethernet cable to console Carbon. Second ethernet cable from console unit, to bow unit. NOT a second ethernet cable from module to bow unit. All othe NMEA hookups the same as I currently have.

Sorry for the silly questions, just haven't done an install like this before. I certainly appreciate the help and advice. I'll do some boning up on the subject, in the mean time...lol
    Last edited by hawg whacker; 07-22-2021 at 08:38 PM.

9. Member
    To change from StuctureScan to StructureScan 3D just remove the current module and transducer. Replace with the new module and transducer. All connections remain the same. The NMEA has nothing to do with it. Ethernet is already there. It literally is a direct swap. There should be either 1 or 2 grey Ethernet cables from the current module going to the bow and console. Just connect them to the new module in the same place they were on the old module.

NoCAL
    2B112175

10. Member
    Perfect! Thank you so much!

Also found a great install video that helped me understand what you have been saying. I'll share it in case anyone else can use a little help. Again...THANKS!