Thread: Megabass Rods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Megabass Rods

Alright, I am an all Dobyns shop. I get curious at times about what other brands are like. So, lets talk about Megabass Rods.

What is the rod that I should look into in the new Levante? Generally what I am reading is its probably gonna be the Braillist. I have Dobyns HP and XP lines. I am not going to go wholesale change but there is always room for variety. So, lets hear what everyone says...
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

I own many Megabass rods in everything from Levante to the TS Destroyer models and if I only had one to pick then it would be either the Diablo Spec-R or the Perfect Pitch. Two of the best “can do anything rods” Megabass makes. Next would be the Dark Sleeper in the P5 line up, the more I fish it the more I like it.

While the Braillist is a fantastic rod, it’s way too moderate in action for my liking as a jig rod.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I don't own Levantes but own a bunch of Orochii, US Destroyer and P5s and agree 100% with the Diablo-Spec R and/or Perfect Pitch as the rods to start out with. The Gen 1 Orochii XX DS-R and Perfect Pitch were my first two Megabass rods and today I have four DS-Rs, two of each Gen. I use the DS-R for primarily chatterbaits and swimjigs. Until this year I also used a DS-R for throwing Flashy Swimmers but the P5 Dark Sleeper has taken over that application. The Perfect Pitch really shines as a frog rod but it's a very versatile heavier action rod.

99.9% of my fishing with Megabass rods is with moving baits and I use NRX's for bottom contact stuff. However, I'm now using my P5 Tequila Baccarat for 3/4+ oz football jigs along the bottom of the St Lawrence and I won't be going back to an NRX to do that anymore. I plan on getting one of the P5 jig rods but still haven't decided on which one to get. The P5 series is really sweet but it's also quite a bit more expensive than the Levante series.

Do you have a specific use in mind?
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 07-21-2021 at 07:42 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I have a Diablo Spec R in both the Levante and Orochi model and I love both. I use the Levante DSR as a spinnerbait rod its so great with my a 3/8 oz spinnerbait for me. I think it would also do well with a bladed jig. The Orochi DSR has a swim jig tied on at all times!

I would love to get my hands on an Orochi Perfect Pitch in the future.

5. Member
    I just recently got a Levante Jerkbait Special. So far I like it a lot.
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

If I had to only carry two of the Levante rods it would be the Perfect Pitch and The Diablo Spec R. Both are extremely versatile and are two of the most popular models for a reason. As other posters have mentioned those are the ones that are workhorses.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I don't own Levantes but own a bunch of Orochii, US Destroyer and P5s and agree 100% with the Diablo-Spec R and/or Perfect Pitch as the rods to start out with. The Gen 1 Orochii XX DS-R and Perfect Pitch were my first two Megabass rods and today I have four DS-Rs, two of each Gen. I use the DS-R for primarily chatterbaits and swimjigs. Until this year I also used a DS-R for throwing Flashy Swimmers but the P5 Dark Sleeper has taken over that application. The Perfect Pitch really shines as a frog rod but it's a very versatile heavier action rod.

99.9% of my fishing with Megabass rods is with moving baits and I use NRX's for bottom contact stuff. However, I'm now using my P5 Tequila Baccarat for 3/4+ oz football jigs along the bottom of the St Lawrence and I won't be going back to an NRX to do that anymore. I plan on getting one of the P5 jig rods but still haven't decided on which one to get. The P5 series is really sweet but it's also quite a bit more expensive than the Levante series.

Do you have a specific use in mind?

If you made me pick something its gonna be something probably more for Jigs and texas rigs.

8. Member
    I have an Orochi XX Perfect Pitch and it's a phenomenal rod. I've never owned a Levante but I've been extremely happy with the Orochi XX rods I have. I use that rod for so many things and I'd highly recommend it for a versatile heavy rod. I've owned a Champ XP 734C and Champion Extreme HP 743C. I liked those rods but preferred the Megabass rods I own so I sold both of them. I've been trying to find an Orochi XX DSR but haven't had luck with the supply shortages. If anyone knows anywhere with them in stock I'd appreciate a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by dylanl View Post
    I have an Orochi XX Perfect Pitch and it's a phenomenal rod. I've never owned a Levante but I've been extremely happy with the Orochi XX rods I have. I use that rod for so many things and I'd highly recommend it for a versatile heavy rod. I've owned a Champ XP 734C and Champion Extreme HP 743C. I liked those rods but preferred the Megabass rods I own so I sold both of them. I've been trying to find an Orochi XX DSR but haven't had luck with the supply shortages. If anyone knows anywhere with them in stock I'd appreciate a PM!
    Most dealers are out right now but I would urge you to get with the Tackle Trap and reserve one so when they ship later this year you get one as soon as they are in stock. Right now its looking like November time frame if all goes well.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Most dealers are out right now but I would urge you to get with the Tackle Trap and reserve one so when they ship later this year you get one as soon as they are in stock. Right now its looking like November time frame if all goes well.
    Thanks for the info, Mark. I've never done it so I didn't realize I could pre-order to reserve one through The Tackle Trap. I was hoping to find one sooner but I'll get on the list. I've heard nothing but great things about the DSR so I'm looking forward to trying one.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanl View Post
    Thanks for the info, Mark. I've never done it so I didn't realize I could pre-order to reserve one through The Tackle Trap. I was hoping to find one sooner but I'll get on the list. I've heard nothing but great things about the DSR so I'm looking forward to trying one.
    Always glad to help. I bet Gary and the crew will get you fixed up.

12. Member
    I’ll be the outlier. I’d go with the Braillist. Love that rod for bottom contact. I think tackle trap, hookup and TW have the Orochi braillist in stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    I’ll be the outlier. I’d go with the Braillist. Love that rod for bottom contact. I think tackle trap, hookup and TW have the Orochi braillist in stock right now
    TackleTrap does I know that. Matt Allen swears by the Braillist in a bunch of videos. But at the same time these guys here especially Mark dont make money off youtube hits soooo....

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    If you made me pick something its gonna be something probably more for Jigs and texas rigs.
    Then I would be leaning towards the Perfect Pitch over the DS-R. I have no experience with the Braillist.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

this guy does a good job of breaking down the Levantes

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Then I would be leaning towards the Perfect Pitch over the DS-R. I have no experience with the Braillist.
    I own all three and have a fair amount of time on all three as well and I would 100% agree with the PP over the DSR for bottom contact. I’m not trying to steer you away from the Braillist by any means. I just want you to understand that its more moderate and bends deep into the blank and I just don’t like that for a jig/worm rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    I own all three and have a fair amount of time on all three as well and I would 100% agree with the PP over the DSR for bottom contact. I’m not trying to steer you away from the Braillist by any means. I just want you to understand that its more moderate and bends deep into the blank and I just don’t like that for a jig/worm rod.

I think the Braiilist is much better for me with football jigs, magnum shakyheads and swinghead jigs in deeper water etc. . I much prefer a Perfect Pitch or DSR for pitching jigs and T rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think the Braiilist is much better for me with football jigs, magnum shakyheads and swinghead jigs in deeper water etc. . I much prefer a Perfect Pitch or DSR for pitching jigs and T rigs.
    That would match what others have said about the Braiilist ,, this rod needs to be under a load to get sensitivity, I know the Perfect Pitch I had was a great Texas Rig rod as the slack line sensitivity was really good , have never had a Braiilist but it does sounds like it would be an excellent swing head / football jig rod
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 07-22-2021 at 11:12 AM.

You guys are making this more difficult.

So let try it this way.

If I only want to throw jigs on it, Braillst.

If I want to do jigs and Trigs, Perfect Pitch.

Does this make more sense that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    You guys are making this more difficult.

So let try it this way.

If I only want to throw jigs on it, Braillst.

If I want to do jigs and Trigs, Perfect Pitch.

Does this make more sense that way?
    What type of jig would influence my reccomendation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast