Newby driving in rough water

I got last fall a 187 with Yamaha 150 and hydraulic jackplate.
    I’m spending more time on Lake Erie and can get into bigger water.
    i have never been close to submarining a wave but take many over the bow getting things wet.
    I trust my Champion owners to help me understand what I need to do to minimize getting wet.
    What is the best way to drive in bigger water?
    Trim down to get on plane them trim up ?
    Jack plate all the way down?
    Still learning and not afraid to ask,,,,,

2. Pat Goff
    Never let the wave take a straight shot at you. Especially with following seas. That’s how you stuff a wave, the one behind picks you up and throws you into the next one.

Prop shoved down for maximum control.

Trim angles and speed all depends on wave height and distance between them. Any sort of internet advice would be vague.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Reading waves, Trim, Throttle Control, Let the hull do it's work, feel and listen to what your ass is telling you.

Do it long enough and you'll stuff one, it happens.

4. Member
    Earlier advice spot on but a 187 on Erie well sometimes that is just bringing a knife to a gunfight.

5. Pat Goff
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    Earlier advice spot on but a 187 on Erie well sometimes that is just bringing a knife to a gunfight.
    IF
    Locking your arms and bashing waves is your driving style then that’s a true statement.
    What makes your champ excel in rough water is the ability to change direction and attitude in a instant. When we can take a 168 out on a nasty day and out ride your twenty footer, and get there sooner, it ain’t the arrow it’s the Indian.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Not a champ owner but less trim and keeping the motor down on the plate is usually a good rule for rough water and rollers where you have gaps longer than the hull. Everyday is a little different as the gaps in the waves can make it better or worse but you really need to take your time and feel how the changes effect. Use the V of the hull and like said, if the waves are big, zig zagging to not run straight into them can be your friend.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    I know a guy that ran a 18 foot Champ for years on Erie and LSC. Sometimes he had an advantage as that boat just fit better in the troughs. Having a hot foot and the right prop for rough water also makes a big difference.

8. Member
    I spend a good deal of time on Lake Michigan and it's important not to be in a hurry. Bass boats aren't optimal for these bodies of water, but can handle their own, to a certain extent, if you learn how to drive them. I would suggest getting with someone who has experience and learn from them. There is no substitute for time on the water and dealing with the conditions you will find yourself in at times. I'm very careful with big water as it can and will take it's toll if you're not careful. I'm also a fanatic about watching the weather when I'm on the great lakes, as it can change fast!

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

9. Member
    I would suggest getting with someone who has experience and learn from them.
    ^^^
    This.
    In Louisiana, big water is the mouth of the Mississippi and the near shore Gulf of Mexico. I ran a 202, a Coastal Champ (saltwater version of a Fish Hunter) and a 186 in those waters. My favorite was the 186 because of maneuverability and quicker reaction when necessary. Many years ago I was passed by a 14' aluminum bateau in those waters by someone who really knew how to drive and read the water - much better than me. Time and common sense are your friends.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    IF
    Locking your arms and bashing waves is your driving style then that’s a true statement.
    What makes your champ excel in rough water is the ability to change direction and attitude in a instant. When we can take a 168 out on a nasty day and out ride your twenty footer, and get there sooner, it ain’t the arrow it’s the Indian.
    No doubt Pat but for some one who called themselves a newbie I would guess they are closer to your first sentence then someone being capable of doing the things you say after that. Just trying to keep him grounded until he really learns the boat.

11. Pat Goff
    This might relate, might not.
    In 03 things were in a not happy place, and needed a J.O.B. so was selling boats at a tracker dealer. I know it was combat duty but suffer though this a little.

Another guy there talked me into fishing a tournament on Travis, which isn't a rough lake by definition but gets pounded by pleasure boat wakes.

We took a demo boat, that sit in the center thing, which was "the best ever ride" and off we go. Had a XB, so not under powered.

Came up to first cruiser wake, medium sized, lined up to wiggle through it, no wiggle...BAM BAM BAM. Well that didn't work. Tried it again, NOPE. Finally came to the genius conclusion it just wasn't going to react in any way I wanted. So, all you can do is lock your arms and bash waves.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.