Lakes with Smallmouth and Largemouth?

On man made lakes that have a good population of large and smallmouth bass do you find that most of the good largemouth population is in the upper part of the lake and the better smallmouth population tends to be at the lower end of the lake where the water is more clear? That has been my experience.

2. Member
    For sure. At least on the 2 local lakes I fish.

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    That is not the case the lakes i fish. I find thesmallies tend to be in the gravel/rocky areas.... whereas the largies hang near weeds and laydowns.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

4. Moderator
    Same here. Every once in a while I'll catch a largie in the middle of nowhere.

5. Member
    Somehow over the years I've got to where i couldn't hardly catch a largemouth because i like catching smallmouth so much. My fishing buddy of over 20 years is not bass fishing right now so i've been going a lot by myself so i decided i was bound & determined to get back on largemouth. I've only been fishing creeks & fishing old school stuff that I use to fish that forced me to slow down. I've caught all largemouth for over a month now & haven't had a smallmouth which i needed to do badly. I had a limit last night & a buddy that went with me had one. Needless to say he was pissed.
    Last edited by Les Young; 07-21-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Pretty good description of Table Rock and Beaver.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    On man made lakes that have a good population of large and smallmouth bass do you find that most of the good largemouth population is in the upper part of the lake and the better smallmouth population tends to be at the lower end of the lake where the water is more clear? That has been my experience.
    Not in Indiana, they come out of both ends of the lake, and we use the same baits for both species.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Not in Indiana, they come out of both ends of the lake, and we use the same baits for both species.
    You catch smallmouth in shallow water pads, grass and wood cover on top water frogs or flipping? I have only caught largemouth doing that.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 07-25-2021 at 02:41 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    You catch smallmouth in shallow water pad, grass and wood cover on top water frogs or flipping? I have only caught largemouth doing that.
    Yes to all of the above.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Yes to all of the above.
    On natural lakes? That's not what I am talking about.

11. Member
    possibly but not always, you are describing some man-made lakes but not all it kind of depends on the tributaries and depths of any body of water, cover and structure
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS