St. Lawrence/Lake Ontario Early October

Planning a trip for 7 days the first week of October. Likely staying in Clayton for the week. Curious how the fishing is in early October? Are the fish relatively scattered throughout the water column? Any information is greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    fishing will b good as always just keep in the back of your mind alot of stuff is shut down, and the weather will be hit and miss

3. Member
    I figured the weather would come into play for sure and that many things will be shutdown.

4. Member
    Weather issue. Along with finding a place to stay. Good is always good at obriens. You'll have a great time!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Bring both shorts and gloves and hats. Can go either way

6. Member
    Westwinds appears to have places available and stayed there last year in June.

7. Member
    stayed at cals first week of october last year, fishing will be hit or miss much like the weather.

8. Member
    West wind is a decent place. Ks motel is supposed to be a good place too. We stayed at the Clipper Inn before and it’s nice just need a very long extension cord.

I would advise against the fair wind motel/cabins. We stayed there for a BFL super which was during their off season so we locked in their off season rates. When we checked in they asked if we were in the tournament and increased the rates $50 a night on us without notice because they heard a big tournament was in town. When I showed them the reservation and the $100 difference, they just shrugged their shoulders and said we could cancel but we still would be charged full price as it would be considered a no-show. Talking with a bunch of other guys (a few who now fish the MLF Pro Tour) and all of us were charged summer rates. One guy went up and complained again but was told since it’s a tournament, they considered it a “summer event” so we got summer rates.. The cabins were very outdated, showers were basically RV showers that they placed on the floor if you leaned against them they would tip over, and they weren’t the cleanest. This was back in 2017 so maybe they renovated since then but we won’t stay there.

as far as the fishing goes, KandK is right. Pack for summer and winter temps. Last year we had a very cold and wet october. There’s a good chance you’ll fish in a snow storm but the next day will be sunny. A few years ago we had our club classic on chaumont end of September. The night of the tournament, the temps dropped 40 degrees in 8hours, snowed and had 25-30mph wind. On day 2 it was bluebird skies and a high of 55.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Bring both shorts and gloves and hats. Can go either way
    Hit the nail on the head!

10. Member
    Just relax and have a great time. I got a week in Sept and oct I'll be hopefully up there.

11. Member
    I'm taking my dad on a bucket list trip there. two days of fishing with a guide as we are flying in from TN. Any recommendations on places to stay in either clayton or alexandria bay? Oct 1-2 is fishing days

12. Member
    Since its a bucket list trip, try the big harbor place in Clayton or the nicer places in Alex bay. Right on the water. Will be a great trip.