Mercury 90 4 stroke hydraulic steering

Engine SN 2B761685

I want to upgrade my cable steer to hydraulic steering. The application guide says BayStar will work with a 90 horsepower but "any engine using a 4-3/4″ gear-case such as Command Thrust MUST use SeaStar." This is the product I am looking at http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...d-new/baystar/

I am not sure which gear-case I have

Thank you
    Last edited by jrfuda; 07-20-2021 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Additional information

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have the standard gearcase. HOWEVER: Although it appears that they have re-worded the application information, there has been a warning indicating that the Baystar should not be used for Bassboat applications (even below 150hp).

SeaStar is what you will want.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don. I should have mentioned in my original post, but the boat is a Tracker Pro Guide V16, would the warning still apply?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I personally would not recommend the Baystar for this application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you. I am convinced between your advice and the dozens of BayStar versus SeaStar threads I've seen on the forum. I see that the hydraulic lines are not included with SeaStar. Can the separate lines be cut or do you just have to deal with the excess length?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You buy lines of the length you need. Always round UP (you can always hide a little line, but they DO NOT STRETCH if they're too short).