Pro-Guide v-175 w/Merc 115 Prop Question

I have a 2015 Tracker Pro-Guide V-175 boat with a 115HP Mercury four stroke. I’m replacing the 17 pitch 3 blade stock propeller. We use the boat mostly for fishing but also tow the kids around the lake.

According to the Mercury Prop Selector site, one of the options is a SpitFire 4 blade, 13”, 17 pitch prop. With my estimates, the total weight is 2600 lbs, the calculated engine RPM is 5,750 and the calculated speed is 36mph, which is pretty close to the speed I see. It’s much slower with the kids onboard.

My question is I’d like to get more top speed but don’t know the ramifications of going against the Mercury recommendations. I’ve seen some postings on the net by guys who went with a 19 pitch prop or even 21 pitch and they have been happy with it. If I understand correctly, you’d sacrifice hole shot but would get higher top speed. With my current prop, hole shot is pretty slow but I’m not all that concerned with hole shot.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or experiences y’all had.

Blair

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

There are a couple pieces of information we're missing currently. Let's get those before looking into this too deeply:

-Smartcraft RPM's at WOT

-GPS Speed at WOT

-Water Pressure at WOT

-Engine Height (current)

-Conditions when above were taken (loading, weather, wind, elevation, etc).

This information, combined with the engine Serial Number can help us to determine more accurately what props you might want to try.

DON'T buy any props just yet.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Apologies for the late response, busy day.

- Engine Serial Number 2B153677

- Year/Make/Model 2014 Mercury 4 Stroke ME115XL4S

- Prop you are Running: Stock prop, 17 pitch

-Smartcraft RPM's at WOT: I don’t have smartcraft but my analog gauge shows 5500-5600 RPM at WOT.

-GPS Speed at WOT: According to my Solix, speed is 36 mph with 2 people and fishing gear, around 30 mph when towing 2 kids on tube with 1 other passenger on board.

-Water Pressure at WOT: 22-25 PSI

-Engine Height (current): Engine is bolted second hole from the top (see attached pic)

-Conditions when above were taken (loading, weather, wind, elevation, etc):Load is 2 people with fishing gear. Lake was calm, little wind, elevation 2500 ft, no current.

Motor Mount.jpg
    Last edited by DogWalker; 07-21-2021 at 11:16 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Analog RPM's are notoriously inaccurate- it would be a great idea to look into some form of Smartcraft (even if it's just the Vessel View MOBILE setup). That would give you reliable data to use.

Provided that the RPM data you have is accurate, you would likely do well with the Spitfire 4-Blade. It would also do nicely when pulling the kids.

I would be very careful about adding pitch as that will decrease your engine RPM's, loading the engine harder (and there is a point of not only diminishing returns, but also the possibility of causing detonation). Best practice is to prop for the top of the RPM range as you would NORMALLY load your boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ok good info, I appreciate your input.

6. Member
    Quick update. Prop arrived and installed and much better performance. Hole shot is way better and I'm running a little over 40mph according to GPS @ 5800 RPM. Thanks for the assistance, next project it to get the engine data displayed on my Humminbird unit.

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalker View Post
    Quick update. Prop arrived and installed and much better performance. Hole shot is way better and I'm running a little over 40mph according to GPS @ 5800 RPM. Thanks for the assistance, next project it to get the engine data displayed on my Humminbird unit.
    Sounds like you picked up some solid speed! Glad it worked out for you. Next project!
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    22P 3 blade Tempest Plus propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating