Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    St Clair is different. I don't want to say stop looking for the structure but stop looking for the structure. I think it is steering you away from catching. A lot of people say St Clair has no structure. I disagree with this but it is not like most lakes where structure is everywhere. Pick an area that you want to fish. Within that area you stay until you catch them and then try to identify what they are relating to. You will need to do that in every area you try to learn after that.

My suggestion for you is to start in the Mile Roads or Metro area a couple miles from shore. Pick a day with a West wind and drift. Toss a drop shot with your bait of choice and start with green pumpkin. No other reason than the fact it will catch them and you do not need to be thinking about different baits to use for this day. Drift for 30 mins and if you don't get a bite motor East 1/4 mile and do it again. 1 of three things will happen. You will either catch smallmouth - and then you can further put a pattern together, you will run into Perch and bait - at which point you need to slow down and concentrate on this area as the smallmouth should bite next, or lastly nothing will between where you started and the Canadian line - at this point you will need to ask yourself what went wrong.

Follow this method and you will catch some with basic skill. Not say they will be giants, not saying you will put 50 in the boat. There are fish there and if you lock yourself to that area you can figure out the bite from there. Also, after 3 days of doing this in this area you will have found some "structure" or some key things that hold bass in this area. You now have waypoints.
    This is good advice, follow it!

2. Member
    St Clair is different. I don't want to say stop looking for the structure but stop looking for the structure. I think it is steering you away from catching. A lot of people say St Clair has no structure. I disagree with this but it is not like most lakes where structure is everywhere. Pick an area that you want to fish. Within that area you stay until you catch them and then try to identify what they are relating to. You will need to do that in every area you try to learn after that.

My suggestion for you is to start in the Mile Roads or Metro area a couple miles from shore. Pick a day with a West wind and drift. Toss a drop shot with your bait of choice and start with green pumpkin. No other reason than the fact it will catch them and you do not need to be thinking about different baits to use for this day. Drift for 30 mins and if you don't get a bite motor East 1/4 mile and do it again. 1 of three things will happen. You will either catch smallmouth - and then you can further put a pattern together, you will run into Perch and bait - at which point you need to slow down and concentrate on this area as the smallmouth should bite next, or lastly nothing will between where you started and the Canadian line - at this point you will need to ask yourself what went wrong.

Follow this method and you will catch some with basic skill. Not say they will be giants, not saying you will put 50 in the boat. There are fish there and if you lock yourself to that area you can figure out the bite from there. Also, after 3 days of doing this in this area you will have found some "structure" or some key things that hold bass in this area. You now have waypoints.
    Incredible advice!

I actually have been on the move lately so i pick an area and move around with my TM by dropshotting using a Hazedong Shad (so more of the swim bait dropshot technique) to cover more water and that normally triggers bites from perch as well which will then tell me there's bass in the area so this method works and is more enjoyable and I have found a couple key structures by doing so just like you mentioned.

I had some success in 18 fow across the mile roads yesterday when I was out. Caught a nice 4lber and a couple 1lbers so it was a decent day for me.
    Its funny because I noticed on my Garmin Navionics maps theres icons that say "BLDS" on the map and I was praying it meant boulders and was happy to find out it did so I marked it and went directly to it and found zero boulders

Appreciate the help!!

3. Banned

this is the best advice that has been posted. I go to clair for a week or 2 every year in July and it hasn’t disappointed me yet. You have to let that lake come to you instead of burning up gas and your trolling motor. Drift with the wind and start in a certain depth and just go with it. There are fish in that lake from 6 feet all the way out to 20. I have been fishing it for years and to this day have never fished any rock that was offshore that I know of. They love the grass and so does the bait. Just relax and fish. Every time you catch one on a drift make a way point. Chances are that fish was not alone. This time of year when you find one a lot times you’ve found 200 and you can work the area over and catch a pile of them.
    Last edited by kb_rn; 08-02-2021 at 07:38 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    this is the best advice that has been posted. I go to clair for a week or 2 every year in July and it hasn’t disappointed me yet. You have to let that lake come to you instead of burning up grass and your trolling motor. Drift with the wind and start in a certain depth and just go with it. There are fish in that lake from 6 feet all the way out to 20. I have been fishing it for years and to this day have never fished any rock that was offshore that I know of. They love the grass and so does the bait. Just relax and fish. Every time you catch one on a drift make a way point. Chances are that fish was not alone. This time of year when you find one a lot times you’ve found 200 and you can work the area over and catch a pile of them.
    Yup, you’re absolutely right. I’ll definitely be drifting and fishing from now on as opposed to looking for structure.
    Thanks for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12