Thread: Bobcat pics

2. Member
    Awesome. I wonder if they changed the white gel coat only interior? Really like the layout and use of space.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Awesome. I wonder if they changed the white gel coat only interior? Really like the layout and use of space.

lots of storage for a little boat will need more motor!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Does it have a built in ice chest?
    Chris Smith
    2022 BC Bobcat
    150 ProXs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blublazer View Post
    Does it have a built in ice chest?
    It's likely under the middle seat.

6. Member
    Good looking boat. Good color scheme.

Smart reconfiguration on the center rod storage locker. Moved the long rod section from port side to middle of the big box and added extra step up to front deck. Visually looks more balanced and probably more practical too. Although I sort of liked having the bigger single step up because it could double as a rear-facing seat for a child.

A major, major disappointment for me is USCG capacity rating has been reduced from 4 persons in Margay to only 3 in Bobcat.

Love this boat - one of my final three for a 2022 order, but that is almost a dealbreaker for a family of four.

I know, I know, it's almost unheard of for any boater to be redflagged by park ranger for an extra person in the boat (especially just a kid), but man - it's the last thing I'd want to have to worry about on the rare occasions I take wife and two boys to lake.

Wonder where the extra weight in the new boat is coming from. Maybe fuel capacity got bumped up to 42 gallons?

Ugh. I'm a little bummed. Three persons. May need to wait for the right Margay to come on the used market or go with Caymas CX-18 instead.

Great looking addition to the family

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CobbRookie View Post

Smart reconfiguration on the center rod storage locker. Moved the long rod section from port side to middle of the big box and added extra step up to front deck. Visually looks more balanced and probably more practical too. Although I sort of liked having the bigger single step up because it could double as a rear-facing seat for a child.

A major, major disappointment for me is USCG capacity rating has been reduced from 4 persons in Margay to only 3 in Bobcat.

Love this boat - one of my final three for a 2022 order, but that is almost a dealbreaker for a family of four.

I know, I know, it's almost unheard of for any boater to be redflagged by park ranger for an extra person in the boat (especially just a kid), but man - it's the last thing I'd want to have to worry about on the rare occasions I take wife and two boys to lake.

Wonder where the extra weight in the new boat is coming from. Maybe fuel capacity got bumped up to 42 gallons?

Ugh. I'm a little bummed. Three persons. May need to wait for the right Margay to come on the used market or go with Caymas CX-18 instead.
    They'll probably address the reasoning. Could be their own safety concerns given the change to the cockpit, could be part of efforts to achieve model separation with the Classic (note it's going from 2 coolers to 1 now as well) could be they've gained some in-the-wild data on the hull in Margay form and decided 3's enough. What still baffles me is USCG's idea of what a "person" weighs. I haven't been a "person" by USCG standards since I was 13 or so.

3 persons or 435 pounds. Keep the family light.

P01135809

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    3 persons or 435 pounds. Keep the family light.
    Hahaha. Facts

11. Member
    I have a 2020 Margay and it's only rated for 3 people. Not sure where this 4 people is coming from.

The weight rating is the same too.

This is a good question for BassCat
    Last edited by llsdjv; 07-19-2021 at 09:11 PM.

12. Member
    Hah - we might get in under the wire this summer, but I've been watching these two boys eat for a while. No reverse on this throttle. They're only getting BIGGER.

Seriously even two decent-sized adult guys and day's worth of gear would most likely technically exceed that 435 lb limit. Seems overly conservative.

Even if park rangers don't tag you and it wasn't an actual safety hazard, if there were ever a boat accident or something involving an insurance claim, I'd be pissed if I faced a counterclaim or denial because my boat was deemed "overloaded."

As brightwork said, best to wait on explanation from BCB. There's got to be a reason for this low capacity number.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llsdjv View Post
    I have a 2020 Margay and it's only rated for 3 people. Not sure where this 4 people is coming from.

The weight rating is the same too.

This is a good question for BassCat
    Interesting. It's not super clear in this image from BCB's website (https://basscat.com/bass-cat-models/margay/), but capacity plate for Margay that is pictured is "FOUR PERSONS." That must have been a pre-2020 Margay then.

14. Member
    The BCB video tour of 2013 Margay with Kevin Short - - clearly shows capacity plate with FOUR person rating at around 2:11.

Whatever, as llsdjv confirms, the capacity reduction has nothing to do with Bobcat redesign. It occurred in Margays sometime between MY2013 and 2020. So I'll stop bitching about the Bobcat.

USCG engine weight tables changed recently.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by brightwork View Post
    They'll probably address the reasoning. Could be their own safety concerns given the change to the cockpit, could be part of efforts to achieve model separation with the Classic (note it's going from 2 coolers to 1 now as well) could be they've gained some in-the-wild data on the hull in Margay form and decided 3's enough. What still baffles me is USCG's idea of what a "person" weighs. I haven't been a "person" by USCG standards since I was 13 or so.

16. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Great use of storage! Glad to see a well laid out smaller boat come out. In reality about 90 percent of us, that’s all the boat we’d need. For decades that was the standard sized boat until the pros decided they needed bigger and alas so did we.

I really like that rig!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    USCG engine weight tables changed recently.

BCB
    OK - thanks for explaining. Think I found the federal regulation update here (https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...t-requirements).

That new reg went into effect 2018, so I bet lots of other sub-20' rigs besides Margay/Bobcat had to revise capacity downward or do significant redesign to meet new standards.

Hah, hard to disagree with Coast Guard that size/weight of available outboards have grown ever so slightly since 1984!

18. Member
    Hah, hard to disagree with Coast Guard that size/weight of available outboards have grown ever so slightly since 1984!
    I think there's a lot of evidence that the size/weight of available people has grown ever so slightly since 1984 as well.

(not pointing fingers--I weigh 50 pounds more than my dad did in that year.)
    If you're too busy to go fishing, you're just too busy.

2010 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 200