St Lawrence Map Massena Area

I will be fishing the Massena area the first week in Aug. Does anyone know of a afffordable paper chart for that area. NOAA Doesn't map that area. Canada wants $50 for a map in Fathoms. Any ideas?

2. Member
    have you checked the site for Garmin's Quickdraw?

3. Member
    Humminbird lakemaster on the iPad is the best route to go. I believe it’s 30 bucks for the area but worth it. It’s basically an additional gps plotter

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ukey28 View Post
    I will be fishing the Massena area the first week in Aug. Does anyone know of a afffordable paper chart for that area. NOAA Doesn't map that area. Canada wants $50 for a map in Fathoms. Any ideas?
    Ukey,

Here is a link to NOAA chart locator, but the only chart that has anything past Ogdensburg is chart 14800, which is the entire Lk Ontario up to Prescott.

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/Interact...log/nrnc.shtml

5. Member
    Thanks Folks,
    I am a luddite with electronics. I use a tracfone and little else. I was hoping that some one might have found something I missed on the paper end. My old humminbird will give me some generalities so I'll get by. Place should be fairly beat up from the MLF crew so I'll pick near the ramps and make it work.

Thank you all for the ideas! Tight Lines!

6. Member
    Check with thousand island bait store. They have charts. Fishing hot spots might cover that area. I had a book of charts from seaway trail. Covered from sabreland to the dam. Best map book I ever had.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

7. Member
    I was going to suggest Fishing Hotspots maps, but I see on their web site that they don't cover Massena either. They have some really good waterproof printed maps, and a mobile app, but I've never used their mobile app, so I don't know anything about the coverage.

8. Member
    Sabre,
    I just remembered about this Navionics link
    https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=srkqGvi%60iM

It is not the most detailed, but shows the entire river end to end, and the entire USA for that matter. I have it bookmarked in my phone, and I use it time to time if I don't want to change screen.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Sabre,
    I just remembered about this Navionics link
    https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=srkqGvi%60iM

It is not the most detailed, but shows the entire river end to end, and the entire USA for that matter. I have it bookmarked in my phone, and I use it time to time if I don't want to change screen.
    I always forget about that app too. I have a Navionics card for my HDS9 Gen3, and a Lakemaster Northeast v2 for my Helix 10.

10. Member
    I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance. I got home last night. I fished Alex Bay in 78 and 84. I didn't want to fish there again because of boat traffic, I use a 14 aluminum Jon with a 25. So Massena was big and open and really windy Mon and Tues. I ended up Jigging a 10# pike on Monday out of the Intake Basin and a 2.5# smallie on Tuesday on a drop shot in 45' off the point at the Massena Oil Terminal. Wed. it laid down slick and I ran around bit. I got a 3.5 on one of the moorings near the locks and lost a couple more. I worked the Delaney Shoal for a couple of hours with all types of techniques and not a bite. It was as tough a place as I've ever fished. I never saw a panfish or any bait shallow. Saw some monster carp on Delaney Shoal. Very different water for me. I should have gone to Alex Bay. Any input and feedback would be gladly accepted for Post Game analysis.
    All the best,
    Frank

11. Member
    nice write up

The Pros make that place look like every cast you catch a 3lb smallie and thats just not the case. The fish are there, yes but finding them and getting them to bite is the hard part. Thats one of those places that you have to put the time in or fish with someone that knows the area and can get you pointed in the right direction.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    Joe,
    I think you nailed it, since even some of the pros have challenges up there. It is a huge place to fish with good areas all up and down the river. East of Clayton to Fishers Landing is one of my favorite and fished it since late 70's.
    Chippewa and Goose bays are my next favorite area with plenty of diversity of fish and techniques, though your tackle will get beat up by some large pikes.

Like anything in life, the more time you invest into it the better results you will have. Seat time matters.