Regular 250 4 stroke vs Pro XS 250 4 stroke?

My buddy is looking to repower with a regular 2020 Merc 4 stroke (SN 2B574987) for his Skeeter 21i He's been told the main differences in that motor vs a Pro XS is the cowling weight is heavier than the Pro XS, and the lower unit isn't as heavy duty. Is that accurate? Any major concerns about running that motor on that boat? Any differences in how the boat would handle between the two motors? Boat is set up with an Atlas hydraulic jp and twin Talons if that makes a difference. He can't find a Pro XS in stock anywhere but did find this demo motor in stock and wants to jump on it right away if possible, barring any major objections to avoid buyer's remorse.

Thoughts?

lower RPM operating range and I believe lower HP. Different lower also.
    https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...p.pdf?u=orhjei
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... and there are a couple other HUGE red flags:

1. WRONG SHAFT LENGTH!!! That serial number is a 25" shaft engine (he needs a 20").

2. The gearcase size/design is really not well suited to a bassboat

3. Going to be very hard to prop

4. Basically, a mis-application of the engine model (from start to finish). More suited to a big bay-boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sounds like someone trying to sell you what they have instead of what you need. Dont walk away ----RUN !

5. Member
    Thanks guys, I let my buddy know.......and that's exactly what he's doing!