Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar

Don’t know if this is a good or bad sign.

I’m not sure if this a positive sign that people expect others to appreciate help, or a negative sign that people expect to be paid for helping someone in need.

I was bush hogging yesterday, and as I turned a corner I happened to notice a person a good ways off who had chosen their spot outside the fence so I’d be driving toward them when I turned. She was waving her blue motorcycle helmet to get my attention.

I finished my strip of mowing and shut down the mower and headed toward her. I throttled down and climbed down to see what was up. She gestured toward a pair of motorcycles down the road and asked if I had a wrench and pliers they could borrow. I told her I did and I’d meet her at the bikes. She came to the fence and got the tools and handed them to the guy she was with. He worked on her bike for 3 or 4 minutes, came up to me, handed me the tools and offered me a $20 bill. I told him I couldn’t take money for loaning a couple of tools to somebody in trouble.

Though I appreciated the offer, it hurt me a little that they might have thought I expected money in return. That’s not me. They went by going the other direction a half hour later and waved like crazy. That was worth more than the money.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Great to see stories like this. Good job!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    You did good. Anytime I help someone all I ask is that "If you ever see me having any kind of trouble just stop and help me. Then we'll be even.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

I've "Helped" many people in trouble, from lending a tool to changing a tire (2"Older" ladies) it's the way I was brought up !! Many have offered $$ for my services, and I've always declined. I'm 74 years young now and It seems that "Newer" people have a different idea of what used to be standard way of life. When I was offered, I would say "No, but thank-you. Just help someone down the road". Pay if forward. And I always felt good about myself !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    I'm with mitch, "pay it forward".

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex from GA View Post
    I'm with mitch, "pay it forward".
    That. I always say that, but I admit I always get paid, internally, because I feel really good about myself. One guy I picked up when his touring bicycle was terminally broken kept insisting that I take some money, would not take no for an answer. Since it meant so much to him and his wife, I accepted $10 on behalf of my dog whose medication I was on the way to pick up from the pharmacy. It helped lessen the blow of $50.00+ for her eye drops.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 07-28-2021 at 04:20 AM.

I'd say it's a positive sign that he / they appreciated the help, instead of taking it for granted

8. Member
    Positive sign in that they certainly appreciated your help.

I have changed tires, taken people to get fuel and towed boats on the lake.

Most have offered money and I always say just pay it forward.

9. Member
    I have never accepted money from towing boats in, assisting on the water, or helping motorists having trouble. I never have and I never will.

Pay it forward.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Fishing our club classic years ago, towed a disabled pontoon back to the ramp. They tried to offer money and I politely declined.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

CatFan, its not a new thing. I’ve been offered, or seen offered, money for things like that for as long as I can remember which is a handful of decades. It’s just a way of saying thanks. If memory serves, I’ve always seen the offer declined as well.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Member
    Stories such as this one make me wish that I could give a Thumbs Up to posts or comments on this forum that I like, or find to be helpful.

1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175