Leaking Tilt/Trim Seal on 200 Proxs

I noticed my tilt cylinder (the large center one) leaking oil at the top. Should be a simple seal replacement? My mechanic I took it to is stating Mercury no longer sells just the seal, and you have to replace the whole cylinder. Over $600 in just parts alone, almost a grand with labor. This seems unrealistic that a seal couldn’t be replaced, any truth to this?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Moving your post to the 3L Forum on the premise that it's probably not a 4-stroke. Let's wait for the serial number before commenting, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor