Thread: Skeeter Alarms

Skeeter Alarms

I think I already know to the answer, but just want to confirm. I have a 2010 SHO 4 stroke. My last trip out I started getting an alarm when I was idling or in neutral. When I would put it in gear or give it gas, the alarm would go away. The motor was peeing the whole time. When I got back home I changed the impeller out but not the water pump. Now, when I turn the key on, but not trying to start it, the alarm goes off again.

I am not a mechanically inclined person so I am not sure what is next. Is the Yamaha still carrying over the alarm until it is reset? The impeller was not in bad shape so not 100% sure that was the issue. I have only owned the boat for 9 months and don't know when it was changed last. Should I put a new water pump on it? I hooked up ear muffs and the alarm still went off and now it will not pee. Any help is appreciated.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Thermostat!
    Also be careful with earmuffs on a yamaha.
    Make sure your water intake is covered.
    Another thought, earmuffs push water thru the system with pressure.
    It wont give you a correct diagnosis if a water impeller is functioning properly.

Good Luck

3. Member
    Sounds to me like your pressure relief valve (aka poppet valve) is dirty and not sealing properly, which allows water to pass through it with minimal pressure, like when idling. When this happens, not enough water gets through the engine to cool it sufficiently, so you get the alarm. Once you take off, the pressure builds up and cools it down. It's a very common problem that can usually be solved by cleaning the valve.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I decided to take it in because any alarm scares me. They told me it was probably the poppet valve but they will have to hook it up to confirm. They are two weeks out so I will have to wait. I will let you know when I go pick it up. Thanks again.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO