Thread: Electrical Work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electrical Work

Hi Folks, would like some advice on getting some electrical work done on my boat and if it would cost more that the boat is worth. I have a 96, 17 foot Aluminum Spectrum boat. 70hp out board. With that said I'm looking to have some re-wiring done. The owner I bought it from did all his own so there are loose wires and really bad connections. Any thoughts on having it re-wired ? or that something to put out of my mind because of cost.Or what should I be expecting to spend for some basic work ? Can I take it to an regular electrician, or should I just go with a marine shop? Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Learn it yourself. We’ll help.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Learn it yourself. We’ll help.
    Amen.

The more you know about your boat the less problems you will have. The lesser the problems the happier you will be.

Try not to think of all of the wiring at one time. Usually there are just two wires to each device. Keep it simple.

4. Member
    Hi, thats a great idea, was hoping there would be some kind of class I could take on basic boat wiring. That covers the breakers, fusses, wire grade and so forth. Does nayone know of one ? The thing I don't want is to try my hand and get out on the water and things go bad....ie lost of power or worse. Let me know if there's an online one that you may know of. So far I have not found any.

Thanks,
    Lance

5. Member
    What instruments are in your boat?

Does the boat have navigation lights?

Does the boat have a bilge pump?

What brand and model of motor?

What electrical stuff do you have in your boat?

6. Member
    Lance, If you are a newbee on boats and wiring get a couple estimates. Between wire, connectors and the tools to do it properly you will be well over &200 and that is not counting mistakes. JMO Bob
    Forgot to mention heat shrink of various sizes as well as connecting blocks and circuit breakers just to mention a few of the odds and ends.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Thanks for posting. That’s a great site.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    Yes very much a newbee, have little to no knowledge of electrical wiring. So hope you guys can understand me not wanting to learn the hard way out on the water. A fire out on the water would be a very bad day for anyone but I am able and willing to learn. It will be a slow process, but will take my time with the help on here. As for my boat, I do have two fish finders, a blige pump , trolling motor and a DC air pump for the live well. Thats it. The big proplem for me is the previous owner did his own ecletrical work there are loose and spliced wires all over the place, no bus or fuse box near the rear and zero labeling on any of them. So I will need to re-wire from srcatch to do it right. Need all the tips I can get.....

9. Member
    It’s really basic.
    Power cable with a circuit breaker to under the dash fuse box. Everything is wired from there except the motor.

10. Member
    Lots of YouTube videos on this topic. Learning the basics of 12 volt DC circuitry along with soldering, crimping, and heat-shrinking can be fun and provide a life-long benefit -- especially when you have an electrical issue out on the water.
    Last edited by UtStillWater; 07-20-2021 at 04:33 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtStillWater View Post
    Lots of YouTube videos on this topic. Learning the basics of 12 volt DC circuitry along soldering, crimping, and heat-shrinking can be fun and provide a life-long benefit -- especially when you have an electrical issue out on the water.
    Yep. Anyone that has wired their boat is going to be much better at trouble shooting if and when a problem arises while boating.

12. Member
    Ok, good points. where do I start with the wiring gauge,( and how much give or take ) having some left over isn't the worst thing. what switches ? Let's just say for the simplest set-up and what is the best place to order online.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lancej2 View Post
    Hi, thats a great idea, was hoping there would be some kind of class I could take on basic boat wiring. That covers the breakers, fusses, wire grade and so forth. Does nayone know of one ? The thing I don't want is to try my hand and get out on the water and things go bad....ie lost of power or worse. Let me know if there's an online one that you may know of. So far I have not found any.

Thanks,
    Lance
    This is a must read.

https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by Lancej2 View Post
    Ok, good points. where do I start with the wiring gauge,( and how much give or take ) having some left over isn't the worst thing. what switches ? Let's just say for the simplest set-up and what is the best place to order online.

Thanks
    Start with educating yourself. Spend a couple of weeks doing that before you start buying stuff.

Here is another source of learning. Look through the site. There are numerous articles that you will find very helpful. https://www.bluesea.com/

When you get to where you can start planning your work, they have a circuit wizard (and a phone app). Their products are some of the best and many are favorites around here.

And here is another favorite, especially for wiring...

https://www.bestboatwire.com/
    Last edited by 86 inches; 07-20-2021 at 01:15 PM.

15. Member
    There are too many opportunities for error to discuss them all here extemporaneously however one I'd like to point out is if the P.O. used the aluminum hull for a ground or return that is an absolute no-no. Even though the hull conducts, use two wires for each circuit or you can get ferocious corrosion. If you have particular questions about individual situations, we have many very experienced spark chasers here.

16. Member
    Probably the best advice that can be given is once you decide to do the work yourself and feel comfortable dealing with 1 person, discuss your avenues with that 1 person in private messaging. That way you will most likely get less confused. You will find alot of people will offer help, but they have no idea or limited experience in what they are talking about. Not trying to be negative, just a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    Probably the best advice that can be given is once you decide to do the work yourself and feel comfortable dealing with 1 person, discuss your avenues with that 1 person in private messaging. That way you will most likely get less confused. You will find alot of people will offer help, but they have no idea or limited experience in what they are talking about. Not trying to be negative, just a fact.
    Hmm... I think this is horrible advice.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Hmm... I think this is horrible advice.
    Here's my chance to get right in the middle of a pissing contest. Not taking it.

19. Member
    I do thank you guys for the suggestion of learning some basic wiring. Now I'm not so intimadated by the idea, I have watch a couple of youtube videos and have a better understanding what I need to do. I was looking at $100. an hour in labor alone. I've been looking at some marine grade wiring and switches definitly not cheap stuff. So thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast