Yamaha sho temp reading sensor?

Ok

So i see there is 2 thermoswitches, i have read those just simply shut the thermostats if it is hot enough to alarm.

Curious if anyone know what sensor would the factory gauge on my boat read from?

Its a 2015 sho 250
    Ranger z522
    Trying to eliminate issues
    I dont think it would pull temp from the thermoswitches? I pulled on yesterday they dont even touch water behind the sensor there is still block behind it so no way it hits water.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonh36898 View Post
    Ok

So i see there is 2 thermoswitches, i have read those just simply shut the thermostats if it is hot enough to alarm.

Curious if anyone know what sensor would the factory gauge on my boat read from?

Its a 2015 sho 250
    Ranger z522
    Trying to eliminate issues
    I dont think it would pull temp from the thermoswitches? I pulled on yesterday they dont even touch water behind the sensor there is still block behind it so no way it hits water.
    The thermoswitches have nothing whatsoever to do with the thermostats. Completely separate from one another.

The thermostats are temperature controlled valves. They are closed when cold and open up when hot. When closed they restrict the flow of water through the block so that the motor can get up to temperature sooner. When open they allow water to flow through the block to keep it cool.

The thermoswitches are monitoring the temperature of the block at two locations. If either location gets too hot the switch will close. The ECU will see the switch closure and put the motor into RPM reduction mode, sound the warning horn and cause a Yamaha tachometer or display to notify the driver.

The thermosensor is located on a different point on the block. It tells the ECU if it is cold or hot. The ECU uses this to adjust the fuel delivery and ignition timing. If and when the sensor tells the ECU that it is too hot the ECU will put the motor into RPM reduction mode, sound the warning horn and cause a Yamaha tachometer or display to notify the driver.

Any temperature gauge on your motor would not get its data source from the thermoswitches. It might come from the thermosensor. It might come from an optional temperature sender that is available from Yamaha. The sender mounts at a separate location from the thermosensor.

3. Member
    Thanks man i have been researching kinda figured that out.

I dont see another location as to where the ranger gauge could be getting its reading.
    The yamaha interface/nmea. Is reading about 140 to 145 which is where it used to run the ranger gauge is climbing rqpidly within id day a minute on plane. Come off plane ranger gauge will slowly creep back down. Water pressure is normal i am at a loss.

4. Member
    At a loss as to what? If the warning horn is not sounding and the motor is not going into RPM reduction mode, you don't have a problem.

Check your motor and see if the optional thermostat cover has been installed. And if so, is there a temperature sender installed into that cover. And if so, do the wires from that sender run up to the dash and to the gauge?

5. Member
    First
    I dont need an alarm to tell me anything when that gauge reads 145 to 150 wot, and all of a sudden it climbs past that since 2 weeks ago. Climbs as high as 185!! It wasnt stopibg and wasnt getting cooler!! Thats not normal,

So weather its ,switch, sensor, or motor is actually getting that hot i dont know but i know then when my gauge reads 45 degrees hotter than normal, i got enough sense to not keep pushing my motor to find out. Id rather try and figure out whats causing it to read that high!

6. Member
    Got thermal gun
    Heading to lake now
    Replaced thermal sensor
    So if it gets that hot again im gonna shoot each side and see what i get on the gun. I am also going to push until alarm as bad as i hate to because i like to baby my motor dont have 20k to buy a new one

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonh36898 View Post
    Got thermal gun
    Heading to lake now
    Replaced thermal sensor
    So if it gets that hot again im gonna shoot each side and see what i get on the gun. I am also going to push until alarm as bad as i hate to because i like to baby my motor dont have 20k to buy a new one
    Are you talking about the Yamaha thermosensor? The one that I highlighted in orangish brown in the illustration above?

8. Member
    Yes
    I replaced it didnt change anything
    I actually got mad and just ran the crap out of the boat
    Ranger gauge almost pegged at 240
    Nmea was still about 145 to 150
    No alarm or shut down
    I shot all over the motor, thermostats all around the heads etc, hottest spot i found was 150
    Ranger gauge read 180 when i shut off and beached boat to pull motor cowling.

So at this point either is
    A- BAD GAUGE
    B-there is another sensor and its bad

Because no way if it was 240 i wouldn't have got some sort of alarm,shut down, steam, smoke, something right?
    I mean 240 is warm .

9. Member
    Can you post a picture of the gauge?

10. Member