New Sho 250 making oil

5 hours on motor and dipstick is extremely high and i have done proper break in procedure. What now?

2. Member
    Change oil yourself. Don’t use the synthetic. Get the cheaper blue jug oil. Go warm the motor up idling a few minutes and run the crap out of it for 5 hours. Run it up to 6000 Rpms and hold it there for 5-10 min intervals mixed in with some 4500-5000 intervals

3. Member
    Went through this with my 2010 Fx 21, after the short block change it made oil for the first 15 hours, I got fed up with it and did exactly what he suggested, changed the oil and took it out and ran the crap out of it, warmed it up good then 5900-6000 as far as I could go in one direction (about 20 minutes) shut it down and let it cool for 10 minutes, cranked it up and back down river I went for the same stretch.
    It quit making oil after that

keep in mind my engine had more than 5 hours on it, don't know that i would run it that hard til I got 12-15 on it but make sure you change the oil first, the oil living in it now is contanimated with fuel, I would also advise the blue jug until it quits making oil.

4. Member
    Definitely change Oil! The whole matter rests on the rings seating.
    That is why the others said get it hot. Definitely contact your dealer and let them know.
    They may even give you a new batch of oil. I wouldn't think it would need a filter, but check with
    your dealer. Cover your hiney on your warranty and DOCUMENT everything.

5. Member
    Not running it hard enough ,are you using 89 octane and startron , change the oil and get on a big lake and open her up for couple miles then cool down for a little and get back on it they don't like to idle , ggod luck

6. Member
    Agree with the above. Go out and run it WOT for a couple of long runs.

7. Member
    My 2018 SHO 200 made oil off and on the whole time I had it. Just try and not idle around a lot and if possible make long runs varying your rpms. Drain some of that oil out and if it goes high again then change it out but keep in mind you're going to have to change it out again at 20 hours anyway.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

8. Member
    I think it needs to be run harder.
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 07-20-2021 at 07:28 PM.

9. Member
    I’ve been told to do it by the book or risk warranty issues. Going to do the 2000 rpm for the first hour and what is required for the second. 3rd 4th and 5th run it hard and vary my rpm.

10. Member
    KSU Then,
    Fill the gas, livewells and find yourself a couple of fat boys and run it hard after you finish your breakin.
    Trim in and out putting different load on the motor. Switch your smart gauge to engine temp to monitor.
    Good Luck!

11. Member
    I will have all analog gauges so there will be no way to tell engine temp. I got a cousin that is a regional manager for Yamaha so going to have a discussion with him on what he recommends. I do know getting the rings seated is the most important part of this motors break in.

When I did my break in I did it exactly by the manual. 93 octane gas with ring free plus. Has never made oil. Guess it's just luck of the draw. I'd let the dealer and yamaha know about it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I will have all analog gauges so there will be no way to tell engine temp. I got a cousin that is a regional manager for Yamaha so going to have a discussion with him on what he recommends. I do know getting the rings seated is the most important part of this motors break in.
    that is exactly why I installed the nmea backbone and engine cable. I can see all that information now.