Newbie Trailer brakes question

I opted for the trailer brakes to be added on my 2022 z19 sport trailer. It's single axle and I guess what you call hydraulic serge brakes? Trailer pulled fine from dealership, but when I got home and I went to back trailer up, the brakes locked up. I forgot to put the tool in that keeps brake from engaging. Since I was facing down hill and had a tree in front of me, you can imagine the trouble I had getting boat back enough to slide the brake key in.

Those of you familiar with these types of brakes know how annoying it is to get out and place the key in every time you have to back up and on top of that, you need a zip tie or something to keep it in place.

I have an older truck. 2002 F150 and had to get the adapter to convert from the 4 flat to the 7 round or whatever it is.

3 questions.

1: Would a trailer brake controller eliminate the need to insert this key?

2: What is the extra wires coming off the round adapter? I know one is ground, but what are the others?

I was thinking of getting the Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control and the brake control wiring adapter.

3: Do these extra wires need to be connected to anything for the brake controller or will the wiring adapter allow for the controller to be plug and play with the 4flat to 7 round.

Or will the controller even help with my trailer?

Thanks in advance
    2022 Z19 Sport

No brake controller will do anything as surge brakes are mechanical.

the trailer only has four wires???

if it had 5 one is for reverse lights that also act on a solenoid in the brake actuator to lock out the system so you can back up, up a hill. I would inquire if your brake actuator has this solenoid
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Sorry. My truck only had the 4pin flat. The trailer is 7 pin round. I have them connected via an adapter, but my truck needs to be at least a 5pin for the reverse brake lockout.

After doing some research, I came across this

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...02/118242.html

Which will allow me to convert my factory 4 to a 7 and this should take care of my problem
    2022 Z19 Sport

Glad you got it figured out.

In the mean time you may be able to google some life hack like - install the flat four in backwards and one pin off, and turn headlights on, this will energize the reverse solenoid. But it's easier to lock them out manually. But you never know if this information can help haha

6. Member
    It is disappointing that your dealer did not address this with you when you picked the boat up. Running a wire from your trucks back up lights to the center pin on your 7 pin adapter will do the trick for you. There is also such a thing as a 5 pin flat adapter that includes a connection for the back up lights.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    It is disappointing that your dealer did not address this with you when you picked the boat up. Running a wire from your trucks back up lights to the center pin on your 7 pin adapter will do the trick for you. There is also such a thing as a 5 pin flat adapter that includes a connection for the back up lights.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did cover this, they cover so damn much we forget stuff. Even I, a very experienced boater.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did cover this, they cover so damn much we forget stuff. Even I, a very experienced boater.
    True, I know when I picked mine up we did a light check before I drove off. I do not remember if we checked reverse lock-out. But, I have a newer truck with a 7 pin receptacle.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    True, I know when I picked mine up we did a light check before I drove off. I do not remember if we checked reverse lock-out. But, I have a newer truck with a 7 pin receptacle.
    I was not aware that these trailers are equipped with an electric reverse lockout system... I'll have to take a look tonight.
    Ted
    2021 Z19 Pro

10. Member
    He did. He explained everything in detail, but he wasn't very mechanic savvy, so he may not have been aware of that fix. He explained the brakes to me, which is how I knew what to do once I got home.

Overall, being new to boats, it was hard to soak up all the information being thrown out.
    2022 Z19 Sport