Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Just purchased a new to me boat. The previous owner said he replaced the water pump in March/April of last year and then the boat just set in his garage and never put it on the water. There is no water “peeing” from the telltale and you can feel air coming from it. Once you put it in gear and take it to 2500rpm water pees from the motor. Was using muffs at the time also. Mercury serial number is 0T385030

cant figure out what’s causing this…or this ok?

2. Member
    Do you have the nose cone low water pickups covered up?

3. Member
    No, they we not covered.

4. Member
    replace water pump and ALL 3 GASKETS time for it anyway , no front inlets on this stock mtr gearcase
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^

On your EFI the telltale comes from the thermostats so at idle speeds you may, or may not, see a telltale. It might spit/sputter, become a solid stream, then spit/sputter as thermostats open/close to regulate coolant temp. Once the poppet opens, you should see a continuous stream.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I’ll replace the water pump and thermostats. And see what happens.

8. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Water pump and thermostats replaced, now it’s peeing! Took to the lake and tried to plane it out and it would not plane. Had to stand on front deck for it to plane out. Got the boat back to the house and prop to pad was 5 inches. No jack plate either. So now need to raise it up couple holes are re-measure to 3 1/2 and go back to the lake and see what difference that makes.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    5"... that must have been the top hole?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    It was 17 1/8 to pad and prop was 12 3/8. Guess they were in a hurry to put the motor back on after they took off the jack plate. You can see where a jack plate was previously.

12. Member
    haste makes waste

13. Member
    Readjusted to 3 1/2 and the boat now gets on plane but it’s sluggish getting on plane. Going to replace the diaphragm on the mechanical pump and see if that fixes it.

14. Member
    test basics ,spark on all 6, fouled plugs, restricted fuel supply

15. Member
    Removed one of the plugs on the prop and the boat was a little sluggish but got on plane. Then had prop wash out. Going to be sending off the prop to get worked. I dont think it has enough bite, plus it needs work.

16. Member
    Got my prop back from Mark's Props. Installed on the boat and came out of the hole pretty good and ran about 53-55 at 5200-5400 rpm. Ran for about 10 mins and stopped to fish. When to take off and it wasn't near as responsive getting back on plane as the first time. Was running back around 5200-5400 and then got a solid beep alarm. I shut it down and turned the motor off. Waited a minute started back up and got back on plane and ran about 30-45 mph back once I got closer to the ramp I gave it more throttle and trimmed it back up to 5200-5400 rpm and after a short time the alarm went back off and shut it down again. I started it back up and getting on plane was a joke. Pushed water and then the Mercury felt like a 3 speed transmission went from pushing water to a little faster then to finally getting on plane. Now it has a rough idle, dies while idling, dies when putting it in gear. But, once I get it started and put it in neutral and rev it, it wont die.

Also, did a compression test and had 120, 115,115,115,115 and 105
    Last edited by 02ranger195; 08-19-2021 at 10:24 AM.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02ranger195
    Also, did a compression test and had 120, 115,115,115,115 and 105
    Better repeat that compression test with a fully-charged cranking battery, and start at #6 this time.

Also recommend the cause of that warning horn be determined and repaired (very very likely an OVERHEAT warning).

18. Member
    Don’t remember the order was done on the compression test but the 105 came from a cylinder closest to the thermostats

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Well... those numbers are garbled up, then.

20. Member
    I dropped the boat off at the dealer last week to see if they can diagnose the issues with the motor. Got a call today from the dealer and they said the motor dropped #6 cylinder and when they checked the cylinder with a bore scope the walls were very badly scared. They also went on to say that the motor has been rebuilt at some point and the block is beyond repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast