Need prop suggestions!

First time poster here after just buying my very first bass boat, and I need some help figuring out which prop to switch to. I know this has been asked quite a few times, but I haven't been able to find anything that gives me a clear answer (if there is one).

I have a 1991 Ranger 361V with a 1990 Johnson GT150. My current prop is a 4-blade Shooter 13.25 x 25. The prop does have a few nicks too, not sure if that makes a huge difference. The hole shot is garbage and my top end speed WOT is around 46. I'm more concerned about getting a good hole shot than I am about top speed. Unfortunately the Tach gauge is broken, so I can't give any information on RPM's and speeds. The closest info that I've found is maybe a 23P or 24P Tempest? But again, I have no clue where to start.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks gents.

2. Member
    Those Tempest props should work well. I would also suggest a 24 Raker prop or 23 Renagade.

You need to get that tach fixed or replaced.
    any suggestions we make if the motor is sick would be useless. That shooter should be pushong that rig better than 46. My R73 with a 125 will do that with two people. A Tempest with an OMC hub kit would be fine. The Raker is also a gfeat choice.

4. Member
    http://www.stevescustomprops.com/

Talk to these guys in Quitman near Lake Fork. Absolute geniuses with prop work in Texas!
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

5. Member
    Thanks very much for the replies. The motor does need to get its carbs cleaned at the very least, but it runs good otherwise. I'll definitely talk to those guys in Quitman, I live fairly close to Lake Fork. Thanks again!

6. Member
    I would try a 23 tempest before I tried a 24. I think a 24 Tempest will be a challenge for the 150.

Our 93 Javelin 379 (18', 1350lbs) with a 1991 Johnson FastStrike 150 turns a 24P Raker II. Prop was worked and had some cup added but it is a nice fit. Great holeshot and spins 5500 rpm without issue. I am not sure if your GT150 has the same gear ratio as the faststrike (1.86), but thats what we are running.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

8. Member
    That shooter prop is a door stop. It was OMC's first effort at a 4 blade and they quit making it in favor of the Renegade. Put a 22" Raker on you boat after you get the gauges working and you should get close to 5500 rpm's and 58 mph.