Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy 2001 Mercury 175 EFI hard start hot. 0T265122

0T265122 I have seen other posts with same concerns but no fixes? I hope this isn't the nature of the beast! But I have changed out spark plugs. Replaced fuel supply hose from tank to pulse pump with bulb. Replaced fuel filter and water sensor. Performed Compression test and it passed, fuel pressure test is at 42 psi. Found posts that talk about keeping motor level when restarting motor. Like others have said to only way to get this boat started is to give it some throttle. Then you have to coax it back to neutral without it dieing out. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    sounds like sensors/switches need set up or tested for ranges and timming linkages adjusted out to start with , also check for fuel leakage in inj housing/flooding intake
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thank you, I did see that there is a Link and Sync procedure. Is this what you are talking about. Special tools needed to perform this procedure. Sorry! Ford Senior Master tech side coming out. Thanks again.

4. Member
    sensors can be tested with ohm meter as well as TPS adj , need timming light possible dial indcator ,and a FACTORY serv manuel for that engine ser number , change brands of fuel see if it helps also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I did purchase the shop manual on line. But you said you could adjust the TP sensor with a OHM meter. I will check on that. I know there are test in the shop manual for each sensor. I just figured you would set that by voltage? Thanks for you help.

6. Member
    volt /ohm meter

7. Member
    Ok after checking sensors with volt/ohm meter. Throttle position sensor was off. Setting was at 1.40 volts. Set to 2.51. Seems to start and idle better. My question is how do you test the Ignition Control module. There is no test procedure in shop manual. Thanks for the help.

8. Member
    elimination process of other parts

9. Member
    Anyone know where I can get one. That won’t break the bank. What about this CDI company good stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by 2000TritonTR21 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get one. That won’t break the bank. What about this CDI company good stuff?
    Are you looking for, a TPS ????

On your TPS adjustment I noticed you said: (Setting was at 1.40 volts. Set to 2.51), hopefully you met to say .251 vdc.
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

11. Member
    think hes looking for controller

12. Member
    yes sir, .251 is what we set it at. Sorry. No ideas on where to purchase a 857169T2? or CDI 144-7169?

13. Member
    Why would when engine is running and pulling spark plug wires off you can tell starboard side cylinders hit harder then port? We switched coils from port to starboard and no difference in fire? Could this be and issue with Ignition controller module? Maybe trigger, stator or ECU? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by 2000TritonTR21; 08-01-2021 at 04:51 PM.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't really get anything accurate on a cylinder "drop" test AT IDLE. Engine needs to be under load, with some RPM's (at least 1500 RPM's) in order to accurately ascertain whether or not the cylinder is really contributing to the total power output.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    We did have it throttle up. With muffs on. Port side was firing but not as strong as starboard side. We also checked spark with the ignition spark tool where you adjust the board out. Spark is great. Checked injector flow and it pass. Compression good. Doesn’t it have to be fire? Thanks for the help

16. Member
    Also checked pulse fuel pump for leaking fuel. Checked good. #6 cylinder seem to be the worst on cylinder differential. Reeds looked good with borescope. Thanks

17. Member
    i had a cdm 200 one time eat my lunch do this same stuff almost trigger was bad , had good spark on all 6 too

18. Member
    My friend that owns a marine repair shop has helped me. He said it comes down to just replacing parts now. If I put a trigger on would it not be wise to replace the stator at the same time? I know it's just money but I would like a dependable boat. What is a cdm 200? Thanks everyone.

19. Member
    cdm ignition equipped 200 , no would not replace stator yet

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 on not replacing stator- it's unlikely the ignition side of the stator is bad if the engine runs or has spark on multiple cylinders.

One way to catch the trigger: Perform continuity tests on the Trigger as the manual instructs, with the trigger disconnected. During each test, move the throttle from idle-to-WOT-and back SEVERAL times while watching for any sudden changes in readings.

This particular trigger tends to deteriorate in the harness itself (first)... often see a crumbling harness sheath.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast