Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    You were on it! Thank you! ����....Thank you! Thank you! Checked wiring on trigger and two wires have broke insulation on them. Blue and yellow wires. Pulled back harness sheath and found more damage.

2. Member
    Looks to be heat damage because it has a discoloring on both wires. Dark brown color on both wires. Thanks

3. Member
    yaaaaay
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Well I replaced the trigger because harness was deteriorating. Replaced the timing protection module also. Re tested the boat on the water. I did notice that sometimes on hard acceleration it would take a little longer to get on pad. We fished for a couple of hours and boat started fine. We made are way back to our ramp. When all the sudden boat just died. Could not get it started doing throttle or anything. Would just spin over. Now since then I have started the boat on the muffs. But I would not trust it out on the water. I am thinking it’s the stator. It does have the old Mercury part number on it. Any thoughts? Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

5. Member
    dont go by that part number ill get ity for you in morn
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    According to the mercury parts catalog it looks like your stator is #858404T3 might want to double check that but I think that's right
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    ^^^^^ changed to T4

8. Member
    From what I found the part number change to 398-858404T4 mercury. CDI is a 174-0002....? Thanks

9. Member
    would work also

10. Member
    Replaced stator and it seems, motor runs smoother. But I still have the issue of hard start after a run. Any Ideas on what to check next. To me it seems to be flooding out. I can smell a odor of fuel after trying to restart. And motor turns over fast after a couple of try’s. Like no compression. If I let it sit for a couple of hours it will start. What’s weird is it runs fine, it only dies when you bring it back to neutral. Then the no start happens. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by 2000TritonTR21; 09-08-2021 at 06:39 AM.

11. Member
    positive has spark when no start ,and fuel psi /maintained no internal leakage

12. Member
    Sorry what do you mean with maintained no internal leakage of the fuel system. I am guessing? I am going to check those two fire or spark at plugs, and install a fuel pressure gauge on the port. Is there any way that VST float might be sticking open? What else is left in the Ign system that could cause no spark? replaced trigger, module, and stator. ecu maybe? thanks for your help.

13. Member
    maintain fuel press when key off drop in press could indicate internal leak / sure it could pull vent line on vst youll see overflowing fuel

14. Member
    So where is the vent hose located? I see a return hose going to the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail.

15. Member
    you see the lil small hose on top of vst that connects to inj housing thats it

16. Member
    You know with so many folks having the same issue there is a fix. And someone’s not telling what it is? I work on car every day and if there issues like this it gets fixed. Through tech service bulletins or Hotline contacts. And problem is solved. This is a 2001 motor. Come on.

17. Member
    you still smell fuel ????? is fuel psi holding after key off ???? when last water pump service done on this engine ?????

18. Member
    I purchased this champion 187 boat in October, requested water pump to be replaced when purchased. I did get a statement from a marina that it was done???? Who really knows. But do these motors pump water from the pee hole, than stop for a little bit and then start again because this one does that. As far as fuel smell not right now, I did remove fuel pressure regulator and check screen there was a little bit of small black pieces on the screen. Does this indicate inner hoses coming apart and need to be replaced. Have not had a chance to take the boat out again. But I will carry my fuel pressure gauge and spark testers with me. Thanks.

19. Member
    yes and you know whats connected to fuel hoes the rail with injectors and filters in each of those

20. Member
    Seems to me all I am doing is maintenance. I will still have the problem. Need to fix the issue then the maintenance. What type hoses do I need to get? And it looks like some are molded hoses? Or can you replace them with regulator fuel hose. Now I did already replace the fuel hose from the tank to the pulse pump with the bulb. Blue colored hose and bulb. Will I have to rebuild the pulse pump too? Break out another thousand. Plus clean injectors. Another question is My Air Temp Sensor is off by the resistance curve is the shop manual reading is 8.53 kohms which is about 68 degrees F. Outside temp is over 90 degress F. Thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast