verado/15efi kicker battery/wiring

I have had 5 batteries on my past boats with 9.9 carb kickers utilizing isolator. 5th battery powers the PS on the vrod.

Ordering a new boat with a 400vrod. I will have 4 12" graphs and want to have my imaging devices on their own battery/wiring - a lithium 125mA.

I also will troll with the boat some. Usually less than 6hrs. Low speeds - pulling cranks at 1.8-2.2mph.

My plan was to run new wire to bow/console to the lithium battery to power all imaging. And have the 15efi kicker and Vrod wired to the stock AGM cranking battery. In this scenario would I need the isolator kit? Its another $750 installed. If we ever trolled long enough to run down the cranking battery I could easily jump it from the lithium 125 next to it or a TM battery.

Thoughts? I would much rather use the 5th battery just for my graphing/imaging.

Thx

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I wouldn't be tying a Lithium Battery into the circuits with the Verado and 15 EFI. These engines were built to utilize a different type of battery.

If you decide to utilize an AGM for the "house" battery, an Isolator or an ACR that is approved for use with the engines would be needed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I am an engineer in trade - work with CT/MRI product development.

That was NOT my plan. My plan was to use the ONE AGM cranking battery for both the vrod AND the kicker. NOTHING else would be attached to that battery. Add a 5th lithium 125mA for boat eletronics other than engines. Wondering if an isolator is required if 15efi/vrod off same battery? An odyssey 2150 AGM has a lot of capacity.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Service Bulletin 2019-04R1 deals with the requirement for 2 batteries and a battery isolator when rigging a kicker.

With a Verado application (electro-hydraulic steering), you'll usually want to have the kicker running on a separate battery and powering the steering from that battery so that the Verado's cranking battery remains fresh and viable when you get ready to crank that engine.

The engine installer should be the one to determine the exact configuration.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor