Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good punching rod 7'6" or under.

Looking for punching rod recommendations. Would like it 7'4" to 7'7" in length with a mod/fast action under $200. I don't punch all that often and I've been using a Dobyn's 806 which is not ideal for me with the longer handle and overall length.Anyone ever use a composite rod for this? I was checking out Ark's Invoker 7'4" H composite rated 1/2-2oz.Maybe I'd be better off with thier 7'4" mag hvy in carbon fiber ?

One suggestion I have is per your words you rarely punch so I would get a rod that is versatile enough to handle punching as well as some other techniques.

3. Member
    Thanks Mark. Believe it or not I was actually thinking about the MB Tequila Baccarac and use it for glide baits as well. A little over my stated budget I know but something along those lines for sure.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 07-18-2021 at 08:32 PM.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Thanks Mark. Believe it or not I was actually thinking about the MB Tequila Bacarac and use it for glide baits as well. A little over my stated budget I know but something along those lines for sure.
    The Tequila Baccarat is an awesome and versatile heavy bait rod. Right now mine has a 1 oz Dark Sleeper tied onto it but I've also used it to throw an S-Waver, Bull Shad, A-rig, 8XD, 10XD. I carry 3 reels for the rod, depending on what I want to use it for that day.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    The Tequila Baccarat is an awesome and versatile heavy bait rod. Right now mine has a 1 oz Dark Sleeper tied onto it but I've also used it to throw an S-Waver, Bull Shad, A-rig, 8XD, 10XD. I carry 3 reels for the rod, depending on what I want to use it for that day.
    Do you ever punch with it or drag football jigs (1/2-3/4oz) ? The length is what's keeping me from pulling the trigger on this but still contemplating it.If it where at least a 7'3" I would probably go for it.

6. Member
    BoatBuggy is 100% right about the Tequila Baccarat. It's an extremely versatile rod. I have used it for dragging a 3/4oz football jig and I have done some light (1oz weight) punching with it. I think it does a fantastic job for both things, but I also don't do those things that often, so I'm not an expert at them. The TB is my favorite rod, which surprised me since I actually thought the X-Bites would be. The TB can throw almost anything you want and do it well. Just for curiosity I decided to throw a 1/4oz Rico popper on it. That is the only time I've felt the rod was not suited for a particular bait. It was just too light to throw accurately. But anything 3/8 oz and up it handles extremely well. I actually like the 7' length since I have been using it quite a bit lately to throw super spooks and kickknockers with. The shorter length doesn't really affect casting distance much and it's lighter and easier to handle than a longer rod, in my opinion.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    BoatBuggy is 100% right about the Tequila Baccarat. It's an extremely versatile rod. I have used it for dragging a 3/4oz football jig and I have done some light (1oz weight) punching with it. I think it does a fantastic job for both things, but I also don't do those things that often, so I'm not an expert at them. The TB is my favorite rod, which surprised me since I actually thought the X-Bites would be. The TB can throw almost anything you want and do it well. Just for curiosity I decided to throw a 1/4oz Rico popper on it. That is the only time I've felt the rod was not suited for a particular bait. It was just too light to throw accurately. But anything 3/8 oz and up it handles extremely well. I actually like the 7' length since I have been using it quite a bit lately to throw super spooks and kickknockers with. The shorter length doesn't really affect casting distance much and it's lighter and easier to handle than a longer rod, in my opinion.
    Thanks.Appreciate that info.

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Do you ever punch with it or drag football jigs (1/2-3/4oz) ? The length is what's keeping me from pulling the trigger on this but still contemplating it.If it where at least a 7'3" I would probably go for it.
    I don't punch but I drag a lot of football jigs with it.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Member
    The tatula elite ish 7'4 frog rod does a lot of things well, and can handle lighter punching.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    The tatula elite ish 7'4 frog rod does a lot of things well, and can handle lighter punching.
    This is what I was going to say or the kage.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

11. Member
    I use the 7'6" Heavy phenix recon elite... has some tip for frogging and swim baits, but has no issues handling up to 1.5oz Tungsten... has served me well for a few years now

12. Member
    Daiwa tatula 7’4 frog rod rated up to 2 oz.
    or 7’6 tatula flip I have both and use the 7’6 I usually only use 3/4 oz weight.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Ark 7’4” mag h been using it for punching and frogging for a year
    nice having several of the same rods that you can do both with also throw toads and glidebaits

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dweller View Post
    Ark 7’4” mag h been using it for punching and frogging for a year
    nice having several of the same rods that you can do both with also throw toads and glidebaits
    Thanks for sharing.I took another look at the Invoker series. I may end up going with this rod. The other that has my attention is the 7'4" Hvy composite. I'm not sure how the sensativity would be on that for punching but I would imagine it would make a great glide bait rod.I have the B-Hittay and like it for chatter baits.

15. Member
    For the price, the iRod "magic Stick" 754F is probably a good option. It's a 7'5 Heavy, moderate-fast tip. Originally designed as a frog rod, but I use it for whopper plopper 130s, it'll throw an S-waver 168 just fine, big magnum flutter spoons, works great on bigger jigs (1/2oz and up), and I've flipped 1oz weighted creatures with it. It's rated for 1/2-2oz, and it'll easily handle that 2oz. For what it is, it's fairly well balanced too.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

16. Member
    For the money the Ark rods do a fantastic job. From the Honey Badger Tharp series to the Invoker Mag Heavy. Multi purpose rods, punching, frog to swimjigs they are in your wheelhouse. I’ve only broken one in several years, not the rods fault as I misjudged a fish to boat flip, it was over 8 lbs LOL... broke 8 inches of the tip but still got her. I use my rods and even abuse them sometimes. Blanks and guides along with the reel seats hold up very well.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    I use the 7'6" Heavy phenix recon elite... has some tip for frogging and swim baits, but has no issues handling up to 1.5oz Tungsten... has served me well for a few years now
    Have the same exact rod , love it and all Phenix rods , IMO best all around rods out there for the price
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnyboy View Post
    For the money the Ark rods do a fantastic job. From the Honey Badger Tharp series to the Invoker Mag Heavy. Multi purpose rods, punching, frog to swimjigs they are in your wheelhouse. I’ve only broken one in several years, not the rods fault as I misjudged a fish to boat flip, it was over 8 lbs LOL... broke 8 inches of the tip but still got her. I use my rods and even abuse them sometimes. Blanks and guides along with the reel seats hold up very well.
    Thanks.I think I've settled on getting the 7'6" Mag Heavy Invoker series. If I decide to get a dedicated punching rod the 7'11"Heavy flip/punch looks good.There is a short you tube video on it.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnyboy View Post
    I’ve heard the Tharp and Invoker are built on the same blank? Anyone know this to be true?

They are not Tharps are slower more parabolic invokes a little faster little more back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast