Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The “cold in TX last winter”

Covid gets blamed for everything now. But dang if the cold from TX last year isn’t high on the list to. Just exactly what damage did it do?
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

2. Member
    Well, if you needed electricity in your home in parts of Texas last year, you would be buying new pipes. There's this big flaming ball in the sky in the daytime, it makes the Earth warm, but I don't think it got Covid19.

And that cold stretch is still affecting getting plastic out
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. Member
    Strange that Americans don’t plan for winter.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    They would rather gamble with there future instead of planning.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratofast View Post
    They would rather gamble with there future instead of planning.
    Ants and grasshoppers...it's just that the grasshoppers seem to outnumber the ants these days.

7. Moderator
    Oh no here we go again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Covid gets blamed for everything now. But dang if the cold from TX last year isn’t high on the list to. Just exactly what damage did it do?
    I think a number of manufacturing plants sustained damage to exposed piping that froze and ruptured. With the labor shortage and amount of new construction, I'm guessing companies would have a hard time finding enough pipefitters

9. Member
    Sherwin Williams says they store a ton of their paint in south Texas and their tanks burst after they froze and they lost a ton of it

10. Member
    150 year freeze; Unprepared Natural Gas Providers ( and most other sorts of fuel providers). Un-insulated pipelines. Not enough good old-fashioned dirty coal fired plants that work when others don't

I've been a transplanted Texan for 40 years. Houston is the only place that I know of that puts its hot water tanks and pipes in the attics. They do that because it is not supposed to freeze in a semi-tropical area. But,..... it did.

Even if the heat providers hadn't had problems, with exposed pipes and hot water heaters over your head, located in unheated attics. ...many unprepared residents would have had, and did have, their pipes burst.

The fact that a large percentage of the ERCOT team were from out of State only made it worse. They probably didn't know, and probably didn't care, that my pipes were unprotected against the strange, unexpected freeze.

Now, none of MY pipes froze. How can that be?

Perhaps living in the Chicago area for the first 40 years prompted me to do some simple things.

Like covering the exposed pipes in the attic with blankets.
    Like turning off the water and draining my pipes before the freeze hit.
    How about putting RV anti-freeze in all of the toilets.
    Having a dozen bottles of water on hand to replenish the toilet water, and for drinking.

We left the house. It was secure. We went to a son's house who, luckily, wasn't affected for a few days. By the time the rolling blackouts got to his house, our house's heat was back on...for a few hours, anyhow.

Be prepared, the Boy Scouts said. Some of us took heed.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Almost any chemical that is derived from petroleum was impacted by the Texas freeze. In my employer’s weekly manufacturing report there are 5 ingredients we use in short supply with long lead times due to the freeze.

12. Member
    I lost several parts of my landscape. I have seen lots of trees and shrubs that are going to have to be replaced all over west Texas. Was down at the coast a few weeks ago, and it seems most of the big palms are dead. I wondered what impact it would have on our lakes out here, but with the wet spring, my local lake seems to be in the best shape it has been in years. More baitfish than I can ever recall and the high water flooding the shallow vegetation has to be good for this year's crop of new baby bass.

Hard to get paint at sherwin Williams

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Houston is the only place that I know of that puts its hot water tanks and pipes in the attics...
    Houston is not the only place , we do the same here in Louisiana.....I'm sure it like that all over the south....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

We lost about 4-5 out of the 200 or so trees on our place. All were live oak. We lost our palms as well. Lost some random shrubs and such too. I was just thankful we had no plumbing damage.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    I've been a transplanted Texan for 40 years. Houston is the only place that I know of that puts its hot water tanks and pipes in the attics. They do that because it is not supposed to freeze in a semi-tropical area. But,..... it did.
    My son lives in Houston and has that exact setup and nothing in the attic froze. His main water supply doesn't come through the slab. It rises out of the ground, uninsulated and enters the house above the slab. His froze there and he took a hair dryer and thawed it out in a couple of minutes, he then insulated it.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

17. Member
    I have some background into the supply chain issues that it has caused. Rail cars of material have been jammed up and backlogged for months as a result of the freeze. It’s caused the needs to ship materials in smaller qty like tank truck which their is already in a shortage of drivers do due increased needs from companies like Amazon and Walmart. Pair that with people unwilling to come back to work because of covid scare/ stimulus payments. I have 6 loads for every 1 driver right now. If you think it’s bad now just wait. It might get back to normal some time next year but your everyday items are going to start costing ALOT more.

OR

the ones that made fun of the cold, snow, ice when it affected someone else—— but when it affected them——- others didn’t understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    OR

the ones that made fun of the cold, snow, ice when it affected someone else—— but when it affected them——- others didn’t understand.

Aren't you the one always talking about wearing shorts in wintertime?

I don't recall a single post from a Texan during the ice storm asking anyone to understand. We just got through it and moved on.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    OR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast