Selling old ammo

I've got more shotgun shells than I'll ever use and a neighbor is interested in taking some of it off my hands. We're talking mostly high brass birdshot (12 ga)and some other odds and ends. How would you go about setting a price? Would you look at Walmart prices and sell at 3/4 of that?

BTW I like the guy OK but I certainly don't owe him any favors.
    Last edited by BP in ME; 07-17-2021 at 08:52 PM.

I wish I were closer. I use high brass for crows.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Member
    Keep it for the wife. If u have enough, Ammo is better than life insurance or gold.

4. Member
    I would sell it for full normal prices but not the inflated prices we see today.

But I agree with the post above of keeping it. Ammunition is a commodity that is high in value when times are tough.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Keep it for the wife. If u have enough, Ammo is better than life insurance or gold.
    I use mostly 20 and the extra stuff I want to get rid of is 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I would sell it for full normal prices but not the inflated prices we see today.

But I agree with the post above of keeping it. Ammunition is a commodity that is high in value when times are tough.
    That seems reasonable but I don't know what it would cost normally. A box of Remington Long Range is $17 currently at Academy. What's normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post

I also agree with Transom. Just selling them to your neighbor is a deal for him. He is close by, does not have to get in his vehicle to drive somewhere and hope he can get ammo. He's saving time, money, gas, etc. Don't sell it short.

I was driving out to Cabelas here in Mass a couple of times a week to try to get ammo. Well, I did some calculations and it was costing me $12 in gas every trip I made. With them limiting us to 5 boxes, it really wasn't worth it to drive there and hope they had ammo to buy. One week we went out there four times and managed ammo once. Still cost $50 worth of gas for those 4 trips.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

How many boxes we talking about ?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    How many boxes we talking about ?
    I've got a little but of everything but not a lot of any one thing. Not more than 4 boxes of any of them. It's more a box of this, a box of that, a box of slugs, a little buckshot....

I'd just walk through a store, look at the shelves if they are barren id ask about that much maybe round up for tax, if it's on the shelf I'd ask that price or round down a bit for simplicity. Looking at the prices on the shelf for similar ammo. I wouldn't fret brand or weight/velocity
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Keep them just incase. Having to much ammo is not a issue

11. Member
    No such thing as" to much ammo" , I'd keep it