Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs Up Motorguide Tour Pro

Any information on the new motorguide trolling motor. Good or bad experience. The more I look the more I am thinking about going back to Motorguide. I used them all my life but switched when I got back to fishing after several years not fishing. Never have I had any trouble in years past with them and now wonder how I wound up switching. Ultrex is what I am leaving and I am considering all other brands. Garmin is at the bottom of my list for now based on user reports. Thanks for any information.

2. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....guide+tour+pro

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1131341

Read these threads lots of info
    Last edited by E-rude_Dude; 07-18-2021 at 05:46 AM.

3. Member
    New Tour pro will bankrupt them in warranty claims. 4 in my shop for gps issues in 40 days ,2 were brand new out of box. Right now I'd say toss up between Ghost and ultrex being best out there

Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    New Tour pro will bankrupt them in warranty claims. 4 in my shop for gps issues in 40 days ,2 were brand new out of box. Right now I'd say toss up between Ghost and ultrex being best out there
    What are the symptoms of those GPS issues and what are the fixes?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    What are the symptoms of those GPS issues and what are the fixes?
    Read the 2 threads above.
    The motor is actually performing better than others on the market if you reprogram the gps, check your cable tension adjustment, and make sure the cables do not bind after installation.
    I did take the katana prop off and put a gray machete prop on. It performed much better.
    Also the Tour Pro is the only true cable steer. So even if the gps craps out you can still use it and fish. All the others your done for the day.

Last edited by Macsimus; 07-19-2021 at 03:16 AM.

7. Member
    Fantastic. Every time mine has acted up, the reason and fix were both easy. Sometimes, it's as easy as unplugging on the lake, then plugging back in.

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Fantastic. Every time mine has acted up, the reason and fix were both easy. Sometimes, it's as easy as unplugging on the lake, then plugging back in.
    I saw a comment in another thread about leaving the motor unplugged until you reach the lake. Plug it in once you arrive to ensure the GPS works without issue. Have you found that to be the case? Not a big deal. Just asking for reference purposes.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    I saw a comment in another thread about leaving the motor unplugged until you reach the lake. Plug it in once you arrive to ensure the GPS works without issue. Have you found that to be the case? Not a big deal. Just asking for reference purposes.
    I tried that yesterday. Plugged in when not deployed at the ramp. I got to my first spot, and no lock. So, I unplugged while deployed, and as soon as i plugged back in, I got lock. No idea why that would be different, but it worked.

PM sent.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    PM sent.

Replied, Feel free to copy and paste for the others since I don’t get on here often

12. Member
    Quite frankly I think there a joke. Re program if you travel more then 100 miles. Constant resets blah blah blah.

13. Member
    Quite frankly I think there a joke. Re program if you travel more then 100 miles. Constant resets blah blah blah.
    Just read all the Ultrex Threads if you need a good laugh.
    A few ghost threads about the prop being like glass.

Quote Originally Posted by E-rude_Dude View Post
    Just read all the Ultrex Threads if you need a good laugh.
    A few ghost threads about the prop being like glass.
    Maybe we were all expecting a little bit more after waiting a year and a half after their announcement.

15. Member
    Well, they are the best trolling motor offered today, so there's that.

16. Banned
    Aside from my MGTP going nuts while spot locked under a bridge, which it only did once, it's ran flawlessly since. I've done both calibrations and it simply works. It'll keep me on a spot within about 5-7 feet. I will say that if you are in wind or current and hit anchor you'll drift for that 5-7 feet before it starts to hold you in place. I've also traveled more than 100 miles away from where I calibrated it and didn't have to re-calibrate the GPS.

It's quiet, powerful, the mount is rock solid and it seems to use less battery throughout the day than the FW series MG it replaced.

My only annoyance is the bounce buster is coming loose. Which requires you to remove the steering head to be able to access the screw that holds the bounce buster.

I bought an Ultrex because, at the time, that was the only option for positional locking feature on a TM. It's been nothing but outstanding. It's been reliable, and very tough. I beat on mine every time out and it just runs. Even after doing a 1/4 spin on the prop shaft the motor still propels the boat, just a little noisy is all. New prop on order as I write this...

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

18. Member
    This trolling motor is the biggest pile of siht i've ever bolted to a boat!!

19. Member
    In 43 days now at 5 Tour pros with gps issues and 1 tour 3 month out with broke steer cable

20. Member
    In 43 days now at 5 Tour pros with gps issues and 1 tour 3 month out with broke steer cable
    Interesting that you were able to get 5 motors installed in 43 days. Been extremely difficult to get them for awhile. You must have the best prepared dealer in the country with great Mercury connections.
    By the way the cable snapping was most likely poor installation and not adjusting cable tension correctly. This will also cause gps issues, because of the everything in the head design. Maybe your well equipped dealer needs to study up on how to install this TM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast