Thread: Oil selection

Oil selection

Just purchased a new bot that comes with the 2021 Yamaha 250Sho. What is the best oil to run in it. Motor only hase 15 hours on it
    2020 Bass Cat Lynx DC Mercury 300. Dual Hummingbird Solix 12’s

2. Member
    First, make sure the rings are set and it isn't "making" oil (gas getting by the rings because they aren't set). Check the oil with the engine perfectly level. It should be between the 2 dots on the dipstick. If it is above the top dot, the oil probably has gas in it and the rings aren't set. Have you dealer change the oil and run it somewhere you can get the engine up to 140 degrees or so. This will involve running at WOT, 6000 RPMs for 30 minutes, a cool down period, and then do it again. This will allow the rings to expand and set themselves.

To answer your original question, as you are in Louisiana, I would use Yamaha synthetic oil when you change the oil.
    The first scheduled service is at 20 hours and then every 100 hours. Yamaha has an app you can download to your phone for all the SHO info you need.

You have a very nice boat, congrats.

3. Member
    Yamaha oil or AMS oil synthetic

I haven’t received the boat yet I pick it up next Friday. It has 15.8 hours and the dealer is doing the 20 hr service prior to me picking it up. Thanks for the advice What is the app your talking about I searched and can’t seem to find what you are talking about. That would be great to have since this is my first Yamaha
    2020 Bass Cat Lynx DC Mercury 300. Dual Hummingbird Solix 12’s