2021 RT188 Wavy Hull from Factory

I received my new Ranger RT188 and think the sides of the hull are very wavy. I might be a bit too particular, but when you look down the side, it is very wavy and looks almost dented at spots. I didn't expect this from Ranger, but this is my first new aluminum boat I owned in over 20 years. So with the thinner hulls, maybe they are all like this.

Can anyone with a newer RT 188 let me know if their boat is like this as well? I didn't notice this on the showroom model, and of course the dealer doesn't have any more in stock for me to compare.
    2021 Ranger RT 188 w/ Mercury Pro XS 115, Lowrance Ghost, Lowrance HDS 12 Live, HDS 9 Live & Elite FS 9

2. Member
    I bought a new RT 188 in February and it is the same way. I know it is from where they welded the stringers in, but it looks like crap.
    I expected better from Ranger.

3. Member
    That’s how they look.

4. Member
    ... yep my RT198P has those distortions where the internal stringer welds meet the side of hull. I only see it when looking at the right angle in the right light just cosmetic.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

5. Banned
    that's normal..........you want to see that. It means proper welds!.......my Polarkraft has them all the way down the sides.

Yep. Some waviness is normal. As mentioned it's a stringer thing. If you don't see that, that's probably a bad thing. Does it look sort of crappy? Well, yeah, but I'd rather have a boat built right over it looking nice but not being able to hold itself together.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    22P 3 blade Tempest Plus propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

7. Member
    It's called metal FABRICATION. No tin boat comes out of a mold. It's a feature. I've had riveted boats and welded boats over 40 years and all have been "wavy".
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Same with my Xpress.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc515 View Post
    I received my new Ranger RT188 and think the sides of the hull are very wavy. I might be a bit too particular, but when you look down the side, it is very wavy and looks almost dented at spots. I didn't expect this from Ranger, but this is my first new aluminum boat I owned in over 20 years. So with the thinner hulls, maybe they are all like this.

Can anyone with a newer RT 188 let me know if their boat is like this as well? I didn't notice this on the showroom model, and of course the dealer doesn't have any more in stock for me to compare.
    Its normal and how visible it is depends on the color of your boat and how the light hits it. 0.1” aluminum is reasonably stout, my first tin boat was made of 0.049” metal!

10. Member
    Yep nothing wrong with that.

11. Member
    Thanks for all the replies and confirming that it is normal. I love the boat and most things about it.
    2021 Ranger RT 188 w/ Mercury Pro XS 115, Lowrance Ghost, Lowrance HDS 12 Live, HDS 9 Live & Elite FS 9

12. Member
    My 2019 RT188 has them all the way down boat sides. It's a big tin boat don't sweat it, you got the new boat buyer's remorse. After you fish on it for awhile you will be saying damn I'm a lucky man.

13. Member
    You will most likely find that it changes in different temps. Aluminum expands and contracts significantly compared to other materials.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc515 View Post

yep my 2016 has the same thing so build process remains the same

15. Member
    I'm a welder by trade. I own a triton tx18 which is the exact same hull as the rt. As these guys have said you really want to see that. Mine has it. The only way to get them out is to sand/buff the blister down and as thin as these hulls are you'd be asking for all kinds of trouble if you took material away. It bugged me at first but I love the rig and ive gotten used to it.
    Derek McCarty

16. Member
    I could see mine until I repainted with Raptorliner. Now they no longer show due to the texture of the paint.