Thread: Bearing Buddies

Bearing Buddies

Thinking of putting these on me trailer. Wanted to get some opinions first. What are your thoughts?

Thanks Chad

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    They are great if you use them right.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They are great if you use them right.
    How do you use them right? I've had a couple opinions on it.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ckarns View Post
    How do you use them right? I've had a couple opinions on it.
    Just pump enough grease in for the caps to move out from the hub. This is definitely not a case where more is better.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Just pump enough grease in for the caps to move out from the hub. This is definitely not a case where more is better.
    Understood.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    And don’t just “give them a squirt” after each trip. Eventually the rear seals will fail. I was one of those guys.

7. Member
    They are excellent, as others have mentioned. I believe the new ones come with an overflow hole if lubed too much, plus the blue indicator shows when properly filled.

8. Member
    I wish there was a more straight forward way to remove them during maintenance than hammering them out.

9. Member
    I used to have them, but went to the plain metal caps. I feel the caps seal better and almost never fall off. If properly packed a hub will last for years.

Here's a trick if you feel like they don't tap in just quite tight enough. Use a small punch and tap the mating surface of the bearing buddy about a cm apart all the way around it's circumference. The punch will create a "meteor" effect with a raised rim around the center "crater" and this will tighten up the fit of the bearing buddy.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 07-17-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Here's a trick if you feel like they don't tap in just quite tight enough. Use a small punch and tap the mating surface of the bearing buddy about a cm apart all the way around it's circumference. The punch will create a "meteor" effect with a raised rim around the center "crater" and this will tighten up the fit of the bearing buddy.
    This. Or put them on a 2in hitch ball and give a few wacks with a block of wood over them. Just don't over do it.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

12. Member
    Mine always seem to “leak” a little and grease my rims. Any thoughts about that? They were really tight to put in so I think the fit is good. Just hate having to clean the rims all the time.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryDS33 View Post
    Mine always seem to “leak” a little and grease my rims. Any thoughts about that? They were really tight to put in so I think the fit is good. Just hate having to clean the rims all the time.
    They make a "bra" for the bearing buddies. Solves the slinging grease issue. Like others have said, not overfilling and keeping them clean, then put the buddy bra on and good to go...

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    And don’t just “give them a squirt” after each trip. Eventually the rear seals will fail. I was one of those guys.
    I switched my oil bath hubs to grease two years ago and installed Bearing Buddies. I haven't given it a squirt after every trip but I do check them periodically. By that I mean I push on the blue indicator to see if it will move. If it moves at all I leave it alone. If it doesn't move I put grease in until I see it move.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and after a few pumps one wasn't moving. I can see a little grease coming out the back seal so I suspect it has failed. What is the typical life of the seals? Is this something I need to address immediately?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

15. Member
    I will have to find me some of those. Thanks for the info.