Skeeter fuel gauge issue

The fuel gauge started working sporadically last month on my 2004 SX190. It has always worked fine until I got some bad gas and wound up with about 5 gallons of water in the tank. Since I got it back from the dealership, when I turn on the key, it goes straight to full. I disconnected the pink wire and it dropped to empty, so I feel like it isn't the gauge. I checked the wiring best I could and couldn't find a short so I assumed that it was the sensor. I took it out a few weeks ago and while I was running down the lake, the gauge started working. It worked all day, but when I took it back to the lake a few days later, same old problem. It went straight to full when I turned the key and never worked that day. I took it out last weekend and it started working again as I was running down the lake! This week, I've had it in the water twice and it goes straight to full. I went ahead and put in a new fuel tank sensor but it still goes straight to full. Any ideas?

2. Member
    I had the same problem and took the gauge out and cleaned the terminals there and at the tank. I have a '94, but so far, I haven't had any problems since. Good luck!

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.