yamaha 150 lower unit trouble

My friend suspects he has lower unit issues on his 2000 150 hp Yamaha. Any advice on buying used or getting it rebuilt. Never had one rebuilt so I have no idea of cost. He just had it out so it is not a total loss yet. Looks like he could buy one on ebay for a grand but that has its risks. Anyone know of reliable shop in the northern indiana or chicago area for a rebuild?

2. Member
    dricha21:
    I have a Yamaha 150 Vmax (1998) where the lower end went out on me last year. The gear case oil was burnt and the smelly as water must have gotten into the gearcase. At the time, researching boat forums, Craigslist, and Ebay, there were used lower ends ranging up to about $1500 available. However I did not want the risk of another premature lower end failure. So I checked around the country and purchased a new lower unit from on the east coast. Ben@hydrotecmarine.com. Shipped to me in California in 3 to 4 days and I had it installed within next couple days. I was down only a week. It cost me a bit, about $3000, but to me it was worth it, mainly because of the "peace of mind", knowing it was new with warranty. I use the motor on my bassboat every weekend and no issues. Hope that helps.

David in San Jose
    Dave

3. Member
    I’m on year 3 of an aftermarket lower from SEI in Florida. No issues yet.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 272 View Post
    I’m on year 3 of an aftermarket lower from SEI in Florida. No issues yet.
    Checked SEI prices. Only 925 for rebuilt one with warranty. Gonna buy there if one is needed.

5. Member
    Most of the rebuilds here from boat dealers are 1500.00 plus install.
    If you buy after market, make sure you get prices on new water pump impeller and make
    sure it was filled with gear oil before use. Good luck

I went with SEI. Third year with no problems so far. Keep up with changing lower unit oil and should be good

I'm running an SEI unit on my 150 Pro-V too, no issues with it at all.

Tom

8. Member
    I had an SEI lower on a carb VMAX 150. I did the full break in by the book and had no problems. It was running great when I sold it. They have a good warranty but there are also a lot of horror stories around the web about SEI. They really stress proper break in. Mine was an insurance claim but I believe the lower was $950.

9. Member
    Installed a SEI a in 2015 or 2016 on a Johnson. Followed break in to a T, still running strong today. I always changed the LU oil before putting her up for the winter.
    Fish have fins, they swim