Thread: Hummingbirds

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    We have a few. Some years they are just a few and some years we have a bumper crop. It seems to be in cycles.

We have 7 feeders we put out when all get here, but same issue here also. Normally we have 2 dozen. Lucky to have 6.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    I always experience a drastic drop in numbers during nesting. The birds have to concentrate on insects for baby making/raising. I just get them catching an occasional sip as they pass by. Once the kids are flying, they return to the feeders big time.

4. Member
    We dont have the normal amount this year either.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I’ve noticed the same thing this year.
    This^^^.

Not as many at our feeders this year. But we did build a pretty large butterfly garden last year. This year every since the winter weather broke we've had some type of plant blooming and the hummers as well as the butterflies have been on them heavy.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

7. Member
    Was going through a half gallon a day, but has slowed down some in the last week. When I lived in Tennessee, had five feeders and going through a gallon a day in mid summer. Got to keep the nectar fresh to keep hummers.

We haven't seen 1 Hummy this year, Kathy washed our feeder and put it up this week. Haven't seen the first Cicada either, guess they don't like clay dirt...

(606)305-1956

10 y/o video at my old house but typical every year in south Texas...

I have a few showing up here, but I do not think I have as many either. They really just started showing up in the last two weeks in numbers. It is almost like they are getting here late. Others around me in a Facebook group are saying the same thing.

11. Member
    Good here they seem to have come back early

12. Member
    Good here they even seem to have come back early

13. Member
    Here in beautiful Delaware they seem less plentiful in my back yard. I have two feeders, they empty the older one faster than the new space ship design. Even if you don't have a lot of birds, remember you have to clean the feeder regularly.

14. Member
    No birds here.did have 2 Lowrances on the boat this morning !

15. Member
    Humming birds are way down this summer.
    Same flowers and food.
    Have only had a few small ones.
    We usually have 7-10 all day long and especially in the evenings.
    Big red boy is our mean ass and defends it against other males. He hasn’t shown up and none of the bigger hummingbirds.

I think the late big freeze down to below zero caught some down south and thinned out the herd.
    Something is weird.
    Miss the little birds.

16. Member
    We have at least three that are emptying ours every couple of days. That's the most we have seen at one time anyway. But there's almost always at least one of them around.

Some years we have almost none visit, other years we have even more than this year. We have a total of four feeders out, and two of them they are constantly at, ignoring the others. Eventually I emptied the other two because they never used them. There are at least five other houses within 300 yards of us that have feeders out too. I think they just develop a preference and keep coming to the same feeders.

But this year, we don't have the goldfinches like usual. We typically have a couple dozen visit the finch socks each day, but not a single one this year. I think it's because I cut down the big willow tree and planted a pecan tree to replace it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball View Post
    I don’t have the hummingbirds this year like I’ve had before.

In previous years, I had to refill my hummingbird feeders every four or five days because they were drained. We would sit on the porch and see lots of activity on our feeders.

I am refilling my feeders weekly this year and pouring out a third to half of the nectar. And I’ve only see a couple of birds on my feeders all summer so far.

How about you guys that feed birds, are your feeders just as busy this year?

DB
    Up here in upstate NY they just started last week with alot of activity... same here that prior it was not much

I'm having a big problem with red ants (big ones) coming up the the pole into the feeder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123