SmartCraft Intermittent Bad Connection

I have an intermittent bad connection on my SmartCraft gauge. I lose GPS speed on the gauge, but it continues to work on my Garmin graphs. If I get under the dash and disconnect the plugs on the gauge and harness and reattach, it generally comes back to life. But next time out same thing happens. Is there a dielectric grease or something else I can safely use on these gauge/harness connections?
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please remember to provide the engine's serial number when posting. Thanks!

Which Smartcraft Instrument do you have? Specifically which plugs are you disconnecting and connecting that restores GPS speed input?

And also important- what type of GPS Speed Input are you using for Smartcraft?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    2020 V8 300HP Verado: 2B646603

I have the SC1000 SmartCraft speedo. I don’t know what version it is but it was installed by the factory on a 2020 boat so it’s fairly new.

I have the speedo tied into the GPS of my Garmin MFD (8612xsv). I have everything connected per guidance from Garmin, as follows:

I’m using Garmin Cable 019-12852-00. The R+ from the SmartCraft gauge is connected to the Gray wire in the Garmin cable, and the R- from the SmartCraft gauge is connected to the pink wire on the Garmin cable.

Unfortunately, in my frustration, I haven’t been systematically unplugging and replugging one connection at a time. Yes, I should know better. However, if I recall correctly, its been the Merc harness plug that’s connected to the gauge itself, and the Merc harness plug that’s connected to the SmartCraft junction box, that has brought it back to life each time.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check to make sure your cable connections are plugging into their receptacles HORIZONTALLY. If a junction box, for instance, is oriented with it's plugs facing VERTICAL, that can cause corrosion in the connectors when moisture gets trapped in them.

On your NMEA-0183 connections to the System Speedo: You may potentially have a missing "Earth Ground" connection (easily overlooked). See the link in the FAQ Section that shows a diagram for this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Old thread but still have the same issue. Seems like the SC1000 speedometer only works when the Garmin MFD is powered on. I think I previously selected “No” in the SmartCraft menu to the option to use Pitot since I had it connected to the Garmin MFD and I selected the separate option to “Use GPS” for speed.

Should this Pitot setting be “Yes” in the SmartCraft menu? If I select “Yes” does it only use the Pitot when the GPS signal is absent?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct. You must pick one input or the other- and if the input isn't present, you won't get speed.