Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

evinrude question

I saw a boat for sale had a evinrude on it. was wondering if i should stay away from it bc evinrude is out of business. i didn't know if i had to have work done on it who would i take it too. will i be able to get parts for it. Does any one know if there is still a service for it.

2. Banned
    I would think parts will be available for years .... I have an older motor I like to tinker with and got parts no problem

3. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Buy parts for my 17 year old Evinrude anytime I need them. Most are aftermarket. Not sure why everyone is worried about parts. Aftermarket places know there is a demand for this stuff so they will make it. Plus used and Evinrude.

4. Member
    Evinrude is NOT out of business. They just are no longer making outboards. BRP the parent company said they will continue to supply parts. Finding a service will be challenging but not impossible, unless your not in an area where Envinrudes were in use.

I would try to bargain with the seller. You may get a deal.

One of the local dealers here told a friend of mine with a G2 that if they didn't sell it they won't work on it.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I bought the software for my old 03 225ho....with the help of the guys on the E/J boards and that software I have not had to take it to a shop....ran that baby for 12 years...now running a 03 250 and I pretty much know it intimately.....I would love to find a screaming deal on a G2 that someone is scared of.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I would love to find a screaming deal on a G2 that someone is scared of.....
    You can NOT have mine!
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

If there is a good Evinrude mechanic in you area I would not be scared. I still love my 08 E-tec!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I would love to find a screaming deal on a G2 that someone is scared of.....
    My 2018 Z520L w/G2 will be available this fall...

Garage kept, only 140hrs, Evinrude "warranty" until 2028.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

10. Member
    I’d have no hesitation to buy an Evinrude. I’ve had much better luck with those than any merc me or my family has ran
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    One of the local dealers here told a friend of mine with a G2 that if they didn't sell it they won't work on it.
    Just my opinion, but that is a terrible business plan. Why turn away business when you have opportunities to increase a customer base. If they are a certified Evinrude dealer, I'm not sure how they can turn you away...Or...this dealer is already too busy and booked with existing work that it's tough to get new people in for service in a timely fashion. We have a few shops here in PA that are backed up for numerous weeks/months for service.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Just my opinion, but that is a terrible business plan. Why turn away business when you have opportunities to increase a customer base. If they are a certified Evinrude dealer, I'm not sure how they can turn you away...Or...this dealer is already too busy and booked with existing work that it's tough to get new people in for service in a timely fashion. We have a few shops here in PA that are backed up for numerous weeks/months for service.
    My dealer said the same thing....

He will sell my boat as is and said he will tell the new owner he won't be working on it/Evinrude anymore.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

13. Member
    Cabela’s here in Wisconsin did the same thing with Alumacraft and Evinrude. When JM bought Cabela’s, they refused to service either product, even the one’s they sold.

I'm in BFE Iowa and I can get service. Just sold my Cat with a rude on it yesterday and the buyer didn't bat an eye. If you have a decent mechanic within a reasonable drive there is no reason not own any brand of motor.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

15. Member
    No issues getting service on them around here. Same issues of service centers being behind and parts being slow but I’m in no rush to get rid of mine, love the motor actually.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I am running an older Johnson, which I can do all the work it will need. My concern with a newer one is that there is a lot electronic systems on them, more complicated. My local dealer as many probably are, is bitter about how it went down. I moved and did not buy my motor from him, and he clearly will only service BRP motors that were bought at his place. Unfortunately that is his decision, and its not like you could go to BRP to complain. Like many, his shop is always in back log with service and now a Merc dealer, in addition to Yamaha. The G2 is a beast of a motor, and 2 years ago almost was going to repower with one. Just a real same that it went away.

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    My Etec is an ‘06 and it’s been a great little motor the last 3 years I’ve had it. When I sell this boat I doubt the Evinrude will be a point of contention. On any given day I see lots of the newest and greatest out in the water but I still see just as many older boats and outboards going along just fine.

The only issue with the Evinrude is finding a shoo with the right computer software to diagnose it. If you find a good mechanic, you’re good.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

18. Member
    buy it like it doesnt have a motor on it an you will be ok.

19. Member
    I would be worried about finding a good mechanic to work on it long term. As shown above there are some shops refusing to work on them, right or wrong, and the issue will only get worse down the road. Mechanics retire and or move onto other platforms and the supporting equipment needed to service the motors go by the wayside. I don't think getting parts will be much of an issue but service yes!

20. Member
    I would not buy as I don't know anyone who works on them near me. Also taking the boat on a trip would give me pause also as there may not be a service there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast