Thread: Efficiency

Efficiency

Guys,

I’m pondering the purchase of a new boat, maybe this fall or winter. I’m currently in a competing brand, 20’ with a 250 opti. That said I’m at a spot in life where to me less is more. I want the most capability but don’t want to exert all of my reserves to do so.
    id like a boat that is efficient in both fishability and performance but don’t want to use all available horsepower or even need a big trolling motor, batteries or fuel. I don’t need to carry Tackle Warehouse onboard either.

looking down the road the cost of life and fishing is only going up and I’m tired of the enormity of it all. I fish Grand, NE Oklahoma lakes and even Rayburn annually.

Give me some ideas, please.

thanks in advance!

2. Member
    WM -

We probably need a little more direction on what you are looking for. That said, the Eyra with a 250 will out perform most true competitors. It is a very good fishing platform with a higher performance driving profile, has somewhat less storage than a Puma/Cougar and will perform well with a 24 volt troller. Conversely, the Puma is a wider profile, more storage, and somewhat better in big water. Depending on your budget, either the Eyra or Puma would be a very reliable used boat. I would personally stick to a Mercury because it is easier to find a service tech.

I've run both, right now I'm in a 2019 Eyra. It is my second Eyra after coming out of a Puma FTD. Send me a note if you want to discuss further.

J

3. Member
    pantera classic!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    If you are looking for a good boat with a budget a classic or p2 would be great choices. Just two different lay outs so what fits you best. If you want a 20’ 250 boat the eyra is a great choice. You can cruise at a decent speed with lower rpm. Does a lot of stuff great! If you have the available time go to the excellence in action this coming up week in Arkansas and you can test out all boats. Even see some new ones

5. Member
    Caracal or pantera if you are down sizing from 20' boat

To me a eyra if you don't mind skinnier boat, or a caracal if you want a wide body. The eyra is probably the most efficient boat they make
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    It depends on your budget and what size boat you are wanting or needing.
    Overall, the most efficient boat on fuel and a performer is the Bass Cat Pantera II.
    One of the fastest boats out the hole to 65mph and cruises at 55 mph at 4200 RPM’s.
    Very responsive to TM inputs on only an 24 volt system.

Once you jump to the 250 horse sector, fuel efficiency doesn’t really exist enough to make a difference.
    The 20 foot Eyra can be had with a 225 and remain a stout performer, but it won’t be as efficient as the PII.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    I am using a 24 volt system on my P2, and it moved my boat around just fine.

Either P2 or Sabre. Both are extremely efficient and give great performance. Not everyone needs a party barge front deck and the weight in front of the console detracts from both running or trolling motor maneuverability. The Sabre is easier to tow and does an excellent job in rough, big water as well. With a 175 it’ll run 70-71 loaded light and easily cruise in the low to mid 60’s. They do great with 24v trolling motors. I’ve drug my Sabre from Table Rock to Tenkiller, to Lake Fork, and most of the lakes in between for the past 13 years. It still looks as good as it did brand new in 2008. There’s a reason Sabres are so rare in the resale market - they’re boats you buy and keep.

10. Member
    You're describing a P2. IMO it's the best 19 footer out there. With a 200 you can set it up to do pretty much whatever you want...want to run mid 70's, put a 26 Fury on it...want an instant holeshot, ridiculous handling and still hit 65, put a 25 Hi5 on it. Somewhere in the middle put the 4 blade of your choice. A 80lb 24v trolling motor is all you need. Handles rough water really well, I'd fare better on Sturgeon bay than a lot of my friends in 20 footers. More than enough storage, at 19'1" it'll fit straight back in a 22' garage. Regretted selling my 07 from the minute it pulled out of my driveway.

A 2004 to whenever they stopped making that version (2017 maybe) will be the same hull and be just a touch faster/lighter.

I'm almost 100% positive that other than the consoles and some topside features the old Classic hull/P2 hasn't changed since 2004. If it ain't broke.

I'm in a P4 now which is great and a little better when it's rough but the P2 is definitely faster.

New classic wont break the bank, has ample storage and "feels" like a bigger boat, it fishes wider than my Eyra at the bow. Other than that the only other model you should consider would be the p2.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"