Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally-It runs perfect (Vid's)

Special thanks to Don and Joe for all their help and advice assisting with MY MOTOR FROM HELL ISSUES

Prop'd with a 28P Drag 4 (Performance Propeller) still in break in but it's gonna scream

Finally hit the water today and here's some short clips w/that bad azz 2 stroke sound, gotta love it (I do
    ):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LNzeErrrYWipNo4JA
    Last edited by Nikon Man; 07-15-2021 at 04:18 PM.
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice to see and hear that! Glad you can finally enjoy it a bit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    yeeeeaaaa boyeeee finaly sleep at last
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Nice!!!
    RANGER BOATS

5. Member
    Oh yeah!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Parnell View Post
    Nice!!!
    Thanks......
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Oh yeah!
    May I interrupt: HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

8. Member
    sense of accomplishment is priceless
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    sense of accomplishment is priceless
    Joe, I couldn't have said it better..................

Gary

S.W. Ohio

BREAK IN IS FINALLY OVER................

So its time to see what she's got. Heading to the lake for 4 days with a selection of 4 props for testing;
    27P Tempest Plus (stock)
    26P Bravo 1 FS (worked, B&B/Cup added)
    28P Bravo 1 FS (worked, Cup added)
    28P Tempest Plus (worked/Allison Cut/lots of cup)
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    VROOOM!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Ok, I'm in TN at Dale Hollow Lake testing props. Boat seems to like the Bravo 1's more than the Tempest props, probably do to the 12" Mid and extra blade over the Tempest running in a surfacing condition. I don't have a good number locked in yet because I'm still trying various J/Plate & Trim settings. But I will say Hole shot with the Bravo 1 was absolutely amazing and mid speed cruise to full throttle would just set your azz back in the seat with lots of torque. I was able to get up to 68/69 MPH/GPS on a couple runs with the Bravo 1 and had some pedal left, "BUT" boat started to feel a little lite in the azz end (you know, that butt pucker feeling just before it wants to hook).

I'll need a little more seat time to feel her out before I get any braver with the throttle. In a nut shell, I'm extremely pleased with the boat/motor performance and I'll have to add, it draws allot of attention idling at the ramp, sounds pure bad azz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gary- I'm sure you absolutely love that!

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Gary- I'm sure you absolutely love that!
    Don, you know me way too well......

It seems another electrical problem has reared it ugly head. Went to put the boat in this morning, turned the key and "NO SPARK", it didn't even try to sputter, just a lifeless cranking. Have good fuel pressure on the inline electric pump as well as the VST pump. Kill switch was not tripped either. Heading back home Thursday so if anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thx
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Isolate the kill circuits from the switchboxes (black w/yellow stripe) completely.

Check connection of ECU (sometimes the twist-lock doesn't get locked all the way tight).

Isolate the kill circuits from the switchboxes (black w/yellow stripe) completely.

Check connection of ECU (sometimes the twist-lock doesn't get locked all the way tight).

Thanks Don, I'll give all your suggestions a try Friday morning and report back.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

Got home yesterday night and just thought I'd put a timing light on it before bed.........."WELL", it seems I was mistaken, I have spark (well at least on #1, that's all I checked before bed), fuel PSI at VST 38, onboard tank pump to VST pump 3.5 PSI, fuel return line shows fuel is flowing through the fuel rail and returning to VST. I'll go through some more checks this morning and report back.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

Issue resolved, Switch Box took a dump. Replaced with a spare, back on the water.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Double check your timing on all six and watch for anything that's bouncing around excessively. Often a bad switchbox damages it's "mate's" Bias Circuit (which is why we recommend replacing in pairs).

If timing remains relatively stable on all six, you're probably fine.

Double check your timing on all six and watch for anything that's bouncing around excessively. Often a bad switchbox damages it's "mate's" Bias Circuit (which is why we recommend replacing in pairs).

If timing remains relatively stable on all six, you're probably fine.
    Thanks Don,

Timing checked, only showing a mild 1 degree bounce at best between all 6 holes.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast